Should We Betray?

Atsushi was in thought for a long time, pondering what he should do.

Oda was someone that Dazai loved very much and so he did as well, but he knew for a fact that the children's death was Mori's doing. There was no one else who could do such things other than that vile and cruel man.

He couldn't understand the Port Mafia boss for the first time, that person who was scheming but he sometimes thought of him as a kind and caring father (not that he would admit it).

It was the first time in this lifetime that he questioned himself on his judgment and he knew how badly he messed up.

The children were not supposed to die, they were supposed to be happy and live long. They had done nothing yet they were harmed because of human greed.

Rage filled him yet Atsushi could do nothing to help at that moment, it was... sad.

The other had already left to confront the person who had dared harmed his loved ones and he could not stop it from happening.

Slowly working up the courage, he walked in the same way Oda went. He used to be a coward who liked to cry when in pain but he had to protect and there was no time for him to be a crybaby.

Dazai would probably be there he thought.

He had known for a long time that the Port Mafia boss was uneasy with Dazai, afraid that the teenager he had raised to rebel and kill him to take that seat of the boss.

Dazai would be a great leader since he was a strategist, someone who uses their brain to work.

When crossing the path, he saw Ranpo who gave him a worried expression.

"Atsushi, your friend is going to die. You have to stop him!"

The urgency in the man in front of him was real as if he was genuinely fearful of the death of someone he regarded as a stranger.

"I know... I have known for a long time"

That was the only thing he could barely say, forcing himself to stand upright and not let emotions flow.

"I will follow him"

He assured the other and gave a small smile that seemed to glow a bit, even if it was fake.

Mori was always telling him to not show anybody his weakness or else they would use it against him. That was the cruel reality of the world where the world was only filled with sinners who were filled to the brim with greed.

Before Ranpo could talk any further, he ran away feeling ashamed of himself.

If he had truly cared for Oda, he would have already raced to him and stopped them. But he did not do that which made him question himself.

Did he think of that man as someone he loved?

Shaking his head from the thoughts that bothered and distracted him, he raced towards the lingering smell of the man.

................................................................................

It was an abandoned building, and in the middle was Dazai.

The teenager's left bandage was gone and his two kite eyes were filled with sadness, but tears did not flow.

He was too late.

"Oda! I am here too"

Atsushi called as he stumbled on the uneven ground and reached the two people.

The man had not died yet but was on the verge too, it was a horrific sight and he too did not cry.

"Atsushi... join the good side, follow Dazai..."

The dying man smiled weakly towards him and reached out his hand.

He came closer and held the other's hand and blankly stared.

"I will. I will follow Dazai and join the good side, we will try"

The answer seemed to satisfy Oda and he died peacefully.

Somehow, he couldn't help but think that the man died a good death.

............................................................................

Just because he did not cry didn't mean he was heartless, some people had experienced different things compared to others. 

That was something he had tried to convince the teenager of and talked to the other as if they were like a time bomb, he did not disregard the promise but at this rate, he and Dazai's relationship that they had built up was going to collapse.

"Let's join the ADA" 

The suggestion was something he had in mind for some time, Atsushi awkwardly looked toward Dazai to see the reaction but there was none.

"Let's betray the Port Mafia"

There still was no reaction, he did not need to turn his head to know.

"I will fulfill Oda's request"

He had not included the 'we' on purpose, after all, the link that tied them together was already gone and Ango had already left.

"I will leave first"

After waiting for some time, he finally got sick of it and was planning to go first.

"Don't talk as if it is that easy! The people we killed won't revive! Our hands would always be stained with blood"

Dazai finally spoke and his voice was rough and scary.

The way the other spoke made him flinch but calmed down after a while, it was useless to listen to the other's ranting.

It was true that their hands were soaked in too much blood that no matter how much they washed, wouldn't come off. That didn't mean giving up.

...................................................................

Atsushi regretted not being able to be brave and do what he wanted, Mori had already caught him before he could even explain himself.

It was a miserable process and he couldn't get the chance to escape with Elise keeping watch over him sitting grumpily on his bed, he looked like a kid who got grounded by his parents (which he did).

"Elise.....Elise-chan!"

He called silently while staring at her.

When it had become night, he snuck onto her bed on the other side of the room to talk.

Her eyes opened and she blinked once before looking in a daze at him.

"Wanna sneak out?"

The window was not his only way of going out and he knew that Elise would never miss the chance to cause trouble.

They smirked together before their eyes glinted with mischief.

Under his bed was a wallet filled with money and cards, more specifically Mori's money and cards. 

Atsushi had found a way to pickpocket the man in payback for annoying him and restricting him.

Mori had made a wrong move in assigning him and his ability together after making Elise the way she was.