13: Thankful (Part 1)

2 days later...

Thursday | 5:49 p.m.
November 22, 2012

Omniscient
It was Thanksgiving night and Miss Gwen and Gwendolyn were in the kitchen finishing up as they waited for their guests to arrive. Akari had called earlier today to say that he would be attending dinner tonight since he didn't have any plans. Gwendolyn didn't know he'd be attending but she was aware that Miss Gwen had invited the pastor. It looked like she was finally making her move after claiming to want him for who knows how long. His wife had passed three years ago and her husband had passed four years ago. It was time to put herself back out there. You were never too old to find love again.

The sound of the doorbell rang as Miss Gwen took the mac and cheese out of the oven and placed it on the island counter.

"I'll get—"

"No. No." Miss Gwen said, making her way around the counter. "I'll get it."

Gwendolyn cracked a smile. "I know that's right." She laughed and Miss Gwen shot her a look. "Oh let's not act like you're not excited to see your boo." She teased.

"Hush up and get out some of my expensive wine." Miss Gwen said as she fluffed her hair.

"Expensive wine? Fluffing the fro? Want me to put on some old school too? Get out some lingerie?"

"Want a foot up your ass chile?"

"Oop." Gwendolyn shut up as her grandmother finally made her way out of the kitchen. She damn near sprinted to the door to see if Pastor Willis had arrived. She unlocked and pulled the door open but was disappointed at the sight.

"Akari?" She scrunched up her face. "Aw hell."

Akari placed his hand over his chest and scoffed, bucking his eyes. "Well hello to you too. I know we're no longer a thing but you could've greeted me a little better than—"

"Akari?"

"Shut the hell up." He beat her to it, mimicking her voice before she jumped at him and he quickly moved back some.

"Boy..." She placed her hand on her hip and shook her head as she laughed. "Get in here."

"Promise not to swing?"

Miss Gwen eyed him as if she was already over his shit and would slap him as soon as he got close enough for her to swing. The moment he saw Gwendolyn step out of the kitchen, the fear he felt subsided and he slowly stepped in, keeping eye contact with her.

 The moment he saw Gwendolyn step out of the kitchen, the fear he felt subsided and he slowly stepped in, keeping eye contact with her

"Hi..." Akari said a bit nervous as he walked further inside as Gwendolyn walked up.

" Akari said a bit nervous as he walked further inside as Gwendolyn walked up