Departure from Nepang Island

The sounds of wheels and bearings hum as they move the internal and external conveyer belt, shifting containers and cargoes around the underground hub. The elevators' axle audibly turns as it lifts up the heavy loads, bringing the ones I require to the surface level I was on. I looked around my surroundings, seeing some other Nomad Couriers doing the same routine as I am.

With a dead stare, they looked down at the conveyer belt, either out of the monotonous cycle they were already weary of, or the fear of what they may have to face in their journey. It is a wonder of mine if other Nomad Couriers have the same attitude as us when we receive our cargo, or perhaps they don't have the same outlook with the better treatment they get.

Once I realised mine had finally reached my end of the conveyer belt, I knelt down to load and secure the metal containers onto my rig by hand. With each heavy box, I place onto the rig that allows me to shoulder the weight on my back, securing each one to each other with metal bolts that slid into the slot between containers.

While doing so, I could hear the projector turning itself on, projecting the form of a person behind me. The voice of a slightly older woman with a minor distortion then came out of the speaker of the projector. "I know it may be hard for your people to understand this, but please handle these containers with care. We have sacrificed a lot of the weight limit on protective measures, but there are still ways things can go wrong." 

"What you will be carrying all the way to Octalban, Sivayas are parts of a machine. Usually, we would reserve this task for a more... reliable and reputable couriers, but our budget has mostly been spent on other parts of the project. Alongside that reasoning, we're also worried that the high profile of other options would make it a prime target for the bandits." She added. "There is also a chance of a blizzard in the area of your route. Try your best to avoid confrontation with the Astral Tempest."

Without a word, I put on the rig and lift myself up with my legs. Turning around to finally face the one giving me the task, I looked at the projection, staring into her eyes. She nods her face as if to accept my stare as a sign of acknowledgement, wishing before signing off with the projection. "I wish you the best of luck on your 636km journey."

With the briefing over, I start to move out of the loading bay, passing the other Nomad Couriers who were still waiting for their cargoes. There was still some feeling of soreness from the injury I endured on my leg before, but it was not bad enough to affect my movement. With every command to move my muscles, the exoskeleton enhances it, taking away some of the energy required to move.

As I made my way off the island, I walked through one of the city's market lanes. I needed supplies for my journey. Just like the one I had earlier, this is definitely going to take more than a day, especially with the terrain I'm going to have to deal with.

At the market lane, I was presented with a panel of keys that was held up by a rod. It was made specifically to deal with customers that are on the surface which are mostly Nomad Couriers, instead the usual dealings that happen underground. It's uncommon for these to be installed considering the technology and maintenance it takes. However, with the reputation for being such advanced technology and fabrication based city, Nepang Island is where you would expect to see this. If it wasn't for this, I usually have to go back down to buy the supplies I need.

For a moment, I closed my eyes, trying to remember the right codes for the items I need. Right as I open them again, I began pressing the keys to purchase my needs. Ready to eat meals, sterilised water, some fire starters. Finally, an actually usable VortexMask.

The last VortexMask I had disappeared without me realising it, it must have had its strap cut off when the bandit attacked me a long while back. I never had one ever since because of the price tag it had, and I've just been fortunate enough to not face a blizzard. Although the mask is far from warranting your survival, it at least gives you a chance of it.

With all my orders in place, the payment awaits. Beside the panel, on the left hand side, was a card reader and also a tube that goes straight through the ground, indicating that they accept both types of payments. With that in mind, I pulled the card that was on my chest for my corporate identification, trying to scan it on the reader.

After a moment of scanning, the reader rejects my card. Believing it was just a simple error, I tried scanning it again. My last job should have paid enough commission for me to purchase this. It declines again. With a sense of disbelief and slight frustration, I tried again. And again. And again.

After everything I had gone through, the risk and hardship to deliver the cargo, they had refused to pay. With the built-up denial and frustration, I slammed the hand that held the card onto the reader. Nothing happens. Even a surface card reader, they built with such robust...

With a defeated sigh through my nose, I placed the card back onto its holder and reached into my chest pocket. With a hand full of SEC grains, I put it above the metal tube near the reader and poured my SECs into it, purchasing the supplies with my own money. After some time, the ground at the other side of the keypads opens up. The supplies I had bought were lifted up from underground, and another tube emerge from the ground. 

The extra grains of SEC credits came out of the tube, hovering a few inches above the tube.

.

.

.

I was crossing the Golden Bridge of Nepang Island to make my way to the mainland, suspended above the purple ocean that shimmers with the light of the sky. Although it was still tiring to start another journey, the sight of the ethereal ocean makes this 13km crossing more bearable.

Midway across the bridge, my gaze fixed straight ahead, a sudden aggressive humming of a speed cycle shattered the monotony. With a simple sense of decency, I moved out of the way so the speed cycle could move past me. Instead, the speed cycle slows down and started moving my pace beside me. 

With not much else to focus on, I turned my head to face the biker that had for some reason slowed down beside me. Curious as to what their intention could be to do this, it was soon answered as they press the button at the side of their helmet. The visor retracts, revealing the piercing dark eyes of the same biker I had encountered during a previous leg of my journey. Ash.

It was a weird feeling, is what familiarity is, and this is the only time I have actually felt it. Never being in a situation where I actually met the same person twice, I simply stared into her eyes as I strolled along the bridge. An odd flicker of recognition...

"Heard you're also on your way to Sivayas..." She flicked her head as a sign of invitation. "Hop on, I don't mind having some company."