Sivayas Archipelago: The Waiting Room

As far as greetings go, that was the most information shared with the least words used. With that, our hands let go of each other, allowing me to take the seat beside his. 

As I sank into the cushion of the sofa, its springs let out a soft creak from the compression, allowing me to finally rest after such a long trip. I could practically feel my knees melting from all the pent up pressure. 

The frame of the sofa, although weathered and scuffed, bore the marks of countless guests and rests who had sought solace. The cushions, while slightly worn, retained their plushness. The upholstery, although it was just a solid colour, still contrasted with the clinical white of the laboratory. It had weathered the elements and the passage of time, yet its resilience remained apparent.

Jojo, the woman in a labcoat with us, stood right in front of the both of us, visibly trying to recollect something in her mind. The excitement for the delivery must have really disrupted her. "As I was saying, I trust that your journey here was without incident?"

It wasn't easy trying to figure out a truthful answer to that question. The package was relatively unscratched, but the way here was certainly not without incident, but why would anyone care as long as the cargo arrives. It didn't matter anyways, as even before Josh could slip a word in, she continued on with what she wanted to say. "You're most likely aware by now that the thing you delivered carries great importance. However, as far as allowed external information goes, you're most likely only know that it is parts of a machinery, but not what machinery."

The fact of the situation finally struck me, the pieces falling in place which only made me confused about certain aspects, making me place my face into my palms as my head. It must have been visible, as once I looked back up from my hand, the woman paused to look at me with slight concern. She must have thought something was wrong, which, isn't that far off.

With the moment of silence giving me the opportunity, I take it to inquire, "Why Clockwork?  There's no point denying it now, but no one else would allow such a high profile delivery to be handled by Clockwork, let alone separated deliveries."

"Ah," she lets out in response to my question, "I guess that is something you would wish to know first. The truth is, we needed this delivery to be as discreet as possible. The parts you have delivered are one of a kind, made in different parts of the continents, and the biggest threats are the bandits themselves rather than the environment."

"Why not just use a convoy if the worry was security?" The man beside me speaks, straightening his back and leaning it against the seat's cushion. "Even Nero's Nexus convoy would be good enough to deter bandits."

"That's because there is another peculiarity with the device, they are always engaged and calibrated. Which meant that the parts must never all be together at the same time, or else it will activate itself by proximity. For it to be delivered by convoy, it needs to at least be split into two convoys. Send two convoys at once it is hardly protected, send them separately and there's a higher chance they figure out how to infiltrate the second convoy. Our best bet was to get 4 Nomad Couriers--"

"4?" Not anticipating the number, I parroted her to get her confirmation.

She gives a slightly nervous yet still excited nod, as if she had just consumed caffeine before this. "That's right, 2 of you here, and 2 others in Cube City. For the best of our interest to be discrete, we contacted all 4 courier services, Clockwork Couriers, Nero's Nexus, Odyssey Forerunners, and Horizon Haulers, to assign random yet reliable nomad couriers this job. You two are the lucky few who are now part of this historical operation."

She said it enthusiastically, as if bestowing a great honour that would make others feel content. Although I can't speak for Josh, as far as I know, he could be basking it in. However, for me, everything I went through just to get here really puts into perspective that this project does not affect me or my job in any meaningful way. There was a sense of guilt, to have this woman expecting a 'life changing' reaction, yet all I could mutter up is just the effort of paying attention.

"Now," she continues without being affected the slightest, "I can't divulge all the details, but as far as fascinating information goes, it will unlock all the mystery behind how the world works when even the math doesn't add up."

"Pardon my leave, but the others are waiting for me. Follow the green line and you'll find rooms for your temporary stay. We'll be needing you shortly." She said, clearly just trying to excuse herself to see the machine.

As she leaves the room and the door closes behind her, the man beside me gets up from his seat. He sighs before voicing, "Well, they're both clearly in on it, now that I have seen it first hand."

With such contextless, random words, I was kind of taken aback by it, but it was only met with a curious look from him as if I was supposed to know. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Don't you know? This place is known to have started a cult, although usually denied, some admits it but only refers to it as 'scientifically proven origins'. They believe that this world is not the true world. Whatever that means. It's something about how we're in a world between two worlds, realities or something. They believe, and some even idolize, this massive explosion that had caused the creation of reality. Apparently, something happened to our explosion, which meant our world wasn't meant to be? I don't know what these people see in that kind of origin, it just sounds crazy to me."

He simply shrugs off all the information he dropped, the both of us not sure what to do with such information other than just continue on with our jobs. Without any more words, he walks out of the room, as I sigh to myself in this waiting room.

A world between worlds?