Nepang Island to Sivayas

The wind howled in my ears as I stayed seated on the speed cycle I was invited to, slightly pressed against the biker that's been manoeuvring the bike through the terrain with elegance. With a subtle sense of trepidation from moving at speed I'm not used to, I look back at the direction where we came.

The vibrant lights of Nepang Island's Golden Bridge faded into the distance, the path we took getting carved into the ground by the heavy weight of the cycle that carried our loads. Our journey to Visayas was set in motion, as we crossed the fields of golden grass. 

The bike moved with finesse, effortlessly weaving through the desolate landscape that unfolded the further we go. There were times where I would be fling off my seat for a few inches, but never anything crazier despite the characteristics of the ground. I could understand why all the Nomad Couriers, especially her, are all about these speed cycles. The speed, wind brushing past me, the ease and flexibility, it's liberating. It even allows you to forget of the dangers that await us on these journeys.

It was... certainly odd to be sharing the journey with another person, something I and other couriers had never done before. It's usually that way because it's better for deliveries to be done in small and separate ways, in case something were to happen to a convoy, not everything will be destroyed simultaneously. 

From the things we're accustomed to, it's understandable how Ash and I could forget at most time about each other while riding the bike, staying completely silent the entire time. It also didn't help the fact we're basically strangers who just met. Or, at least, that's how I felt. 

Why would she care enough to pick me up anyways?

With each passing mile, a newfound sense of subtle familiarity was formed within me, something I had never felt

With each passing mile, a newfound sense of subtle familiarity was formed within me, something I had never felt. Neither have I ever considered how this has been a normal thing others had experienced, seeing things and people you recognise. I guess my life had always seemed so temporary to me, and it's not really worth changing my views when this connection will be done after this delivery anyways.

It has been hours since we left Nepang Island, only riding on the golden plains as it's the easiest to traverse, especially on a speeding vehicle. There has been a few words exchange, mostly just us checking up on each other but nothing more.

The sky was getting dark, slowly diluted with purple with speckles of distant stars. We're most likely more than halfway there, but it's not worth the risk to ride in the night. Being an experienced Nomad Courier as well, Ash must be aware of that and is seeking a fitting spot to rest.

Typically, a courier's resting spot would be somewhere not too out in the open like the insides of a forest, but the last forest we pass was already hours away. With her more focus on what's in front of us, I took the responsibility to look around as I didn't have to worry about steering the bike.

As I turn my head from left to right, I squint my eyes as I see a thing of interest right in the distance. It seem to be a tree, although not that concealing, it could be better than nothing if it was the type of tree I was expecting. I pat her shoulder to get her attention immediately rather than calling out her name. With her acknowledging by shooking her head up, I stretch my arms fully and pointed at the tree far away.

She took a moment to assess what was going on, before steering the bike to move towards the tree.

Once we reach the tree, the bike was halted on the side for us to dismount off of it. As I had expected even with just a rough view, I knew it was a Custocedar Tree. It's not that hard to tell it's Custocedar from afar, the silhouette of it is not only recognisable but the fact that it always grows alone in the fields of gold. Custocedars are known to be very territorial, preventing other plants to grow around them. Even the invasive and rapidly growing grass struggled as the ones that grew around the tree were weakly and frail. They don't protect you from the grass entirely, but it's better than just lying on the field.

Unbuckling the straps that kept the cargo on my back, I place them down to lean against the tree. With the knuckles of my hand, I knocked on the bark of the tree to check if it was truly a Custocedar, or a faux. Hollow, as a Custocedar should be. 

"It was once said that the trees used to contain bodies, souls of the dead, but it was just folklore as far as I know." Ash spoke as she dismounted the bike, getting the necessary gear out of some compartments.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" I said, confused as what to do with the new information, taking it as some sort of tease.

"No," she said as she places and sets up a heater for us to use, "it's just something I remember hearing."

She flicks the starter to start the heat, but failed the first try. She then flicked it again and again, failing to start the heat. With the fact that she had a speed cycle, it's pretty clear she doesn't do overnight deliveries as often as I do, which is why she is struggling with the heater. 

I moved closer to her, reaching my hand out for her to give me the starters. I guess the weight of me and my cargo had slowed her down more than usual, starting the heater was the least I could for weighing her down. With a single, experienced flick, the heater immediately starts lighting up and radiating heat.

"Not bad," she said standing behind me as I did my thing, I could practically hear the smirk and the crossed arms just from her voice. I took a seat right by the heater, the biker following suit and sat beside me. The heat embrace us as the sky had already been swallowed by the night.

I could feel a sense of comfort, reprieve from the cold and the grass, as well as... loneliness.