Road to Sivayas, Pitiful Storm

Without a moment to spare, we had already begun to prepare for our departure as soon as we felt water streaming down our neck which potentially spelled out our peril. Immediately, Ash gets off of her makeshift bed and attempts to ignite the engine for the Speedcycle.

Realising that I had to hurry to get the cargo back onto me as I had placed it off, I swiftly got up onto my feet a bit too aggressively. I had expected to be struggling against the grip of the parasitic grass, yet I had been unknowingly laying on my blanket this entire time. With the experience of walking for years of my life with heavy loads, the reflexes of my legs stop me from falling over from such mistake.

My boots pushed into the moist grass and dirt, propelling me forward to the containers I was tasked to bring to Gondalunamy. Taking advantage of the wet floor, I slide the final stretch with my back against the packs of containers, aligning myself for a near-instant equipment. With all the clasps and locks engaged and ready, I get myself up with the help of the exoskeleton legs, letting out a slight grunt of struggle.

I looked over to Ash with her bike, catching a glimpse of her swinging her legs over the seat and clasping on her helmet in a way only a biker with years of experience could. I quickly ran to her, knowing that she wouldn't, I still had a slight fret that she might just speed away without me because of that odd dream.

The wind whipped against my face for that brief moment, a mixture of exhilaration and dread coursing through my veins. I stole a glance at Ash, her visor down and her expression unseen with how dark the visor was. At this moment, she was our best hope of getting out of this.

As I reached there, Ash revved the engine of the Speedcycle, revealing that it was anchored to the ground. The Speed Cycle's engine continued to sputter and whine as it fought against an unseen force. I peered down to see a creeping infestation of the parasitic golden grass had entwined itself around the wheels, ensnaring it from moving properly. 

"Shit..." I hear Ash curse under her breath through her helmet, her gloved hands tightening on the handlebars. Her visor was down, hiding her expression, but the frustration was palpable in her voice.

From the years of dealing with these forsaken parasite grass, I knew a heat source was needed to stop the grass from regenerating again on the wheels. My gaze automatically fell on the compact heater Ash had brought along, its potential as a makeshift tool was exactly what we needed.

I quickly get a hold of the heater, disassembling it with practised speed to reveal the heating compartment, a small, red-hot element designed to provide warmth in harsh conditions. Using the element like a makeshift blade, I set to work, rapidly guiding the searing heat against the entangled grass. The golden tendrils sizzled and smoked as they made contact with the intense heat, their growth stunted by the searing assault. The air filled with the acrid scent of burning grass, a testament to the parasitic organism's resilience.

With each cut, the grass released its grip on the Speed Cycle's wheels, its hold weakened by the onslaught of heat. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead, a combination of exertion and the scorching warmth radiating from the element in my hand without anything to cover it. 

Finally, the last of the entangled grass fell away, its golden form reduced to charred remnants. I stepped back a bit as Ash revved the engine. I was finally able to look towards the biker, as she looked back at me through her visor. With a press of a button, the visor retracts into the helmet like before, revealing her eyes that stared into mine.

Something about the way she looked at me felt... off. I had barely known her for a few days, but the look she was giving was one I had never seen her have, one I had recognised on others so often. It was a look of pity.

"I'm sorry." 

It was as if time itself had slowed down, each passing moment an eternity. She said that with her voice barely audible over the revving engine. Had she finally realised that me and my cargo would only slow her down, not allowing her to escape the storm in time?

Before I could react, the Speed Cycle surged forward, the powerful engine propelling it away from me. I watched as the distance between us grew rapidly, not knowing what sort of reaction was appropriate for this situation. What I did know was that I couldn't stay rooted to the spot, staring at the receding figure. 

The Epoch was certainly approaching within the storm as a threat, looming on the horizon, and I had to keep moving. I tore my gaze away from the disappearing Speed Cycle, running along the shallow trail it left behind to get to safety.

Even with little to no chance of survival, I never had any other choice but to move forward. I propelled myself forward, each step assisted by my exoskeleton legs. The storm loomed, a twisting vortex of chronological uncertainty.

By sheer luck, I peered to the right of the path I was sprinting through and saw a dark crevice in a rocky terrain. I veered towards the looming opening, my heart pounding from the amount of exertion in such a short amount of time. As I drew closer, the crevice revealed itself to be a cave, a sanctuary amidst the chaos.

Adrenaline surged through me as I stumbled into the cave's embrace, my chest heaving as I leaned against the cool, rocky wall. With a weary but resolute exhale, I settled deeper into the cave's sheltering embrace. Without even realising it, I had been holding onto the unprotected heat element of the compact heater earlier. Planting it into the ground, it serves as a temporary heater, while I take a moment to process the day.