Chapter 7- Time for Dinner?

Chapter 7- Time for dinner?

Hermione and I wake up. My stomach growls and Hermione smiles at me. She gets up off of the couch and starts to walk towards the door. I stand up and stop her before she gets too far. For a moment she just stares at me like I’m crazy. Her look makes me smile. It’s not often that she’s confused.

“I’m having dinner brought to us.” I explain.

“How did you manage that?” Hermione asks.

“I’m friends with the house elves.”

“Really?”

“Yes. I’m not as big of a jerk as I seem.”

“Are you sometimes?”

“Sometimes yes and there’s things I’ve done that I’m not proud of, but for the most part I’m not a bad guy.”

“Mind telling me what a few of those things are?”

“I don’t want to scare you away.”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

“I’ll tell you after dinner.”

“Okay.”

Hermione sits down on the couch and I sit down next to her. In a few minutes one of the house elves comes in with our dinner. I thank him and he leaves. Both Hermione and I start eating quietly. After a while both of us finish eating. The plates magically disappear and Hermione snuggles closer to me.

“Are you going to tell me what you’re not proud of?” Hermione asks.

“I don’t even know where to start.” I say honestly.

“Start at the first thing you were ever not proud of.”

“Being born.”

“Why?”

“My family is one of the most well-known wizarding families in the world and not in a good way. I wish I could have been born into any other family besides my own.”

“If you were, we probably never would have met.”

“I know. I said that I’m not proud about being in my family, not that I regret it.”

“Isn’t it pretty much the same thing?”

“Maybe, but I don’t regret meeting you.”

“I know.”

“The next thing was when I was younger. I couldn’t keep Draco from picking on someone younger than us. It bothered me for a long time because he really hurt the other person.”

“That’s not your fault though.”

“I know, but it still bothers me.”

“Anything else?”

“I’m just getting started.”

“Maybe we can talk more tomorrow. Right now I think it’s about time for curfew.”

“It probably is.”

“Are you going to stay in here?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll stay with you.”

“Okay.”

I walk over to a bed that just appeared in the middle of the room. Hermione and I climb under the covers. She snuggles close to me and I wrap my arms around her. For the first time in a while, I’m not thinking about getting any. I’m also not thinking about how I’ll sneak away when she’s asleep. With Hermione, I’m genuinely happy. I just hope that we can be like this forever.

“Goodnight, Emmett. I love you.” Hermione whispers.

“I love you too.” I say before both of us fall asleep.