3.

𝐸𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓃𝑜𝓇

_________________________

I take off my sneakers and flick on the hotel room lights

I take off my sneakers and flick on the hotel room lights. The floor-to-ceiling window shows a stunning view of the city skyline, the lights twinkling like stars. I turn off the lights to appreciate the view even more. I sit on the edge of the bed, looking emptily through the window. Silence fills the room, making the only thing audible is my calm breathing and my racing thoughts. I don't want to talk things out, because I know how much I overthink and complicate matters. Instead, I listen to the gentle hum of the city below, letting the view embrace me and be my only friend for the moment.

Ding.

Apparently not.

I take my phone out of the bag and look at my screen full of notifications. The newest ones are from Faith, checking on me and making sure I'm fine. I wish I were, I mumbled to myself. I scroll through the other messages, all of them coming from one common source - my boss. He must have waited angrily for a response from me.

I stayed out late just to clear my head and enjoy the weather. It's a bit cold but acceptable, I bought myself an ice cream to chill myself and feel a bit better was a good idea. Well, I ran out, I'm a coward. But I can't run now, the boss can't wait anymore. My career is already over, so why run from the speech confirming it?

It's a bit late but not bad to call. I take a deep breath and open Mr. Lincoln's contact, my finger hovering over the calling button. I hold the phone to my ear, my heart racing as I listen to the slow ringtone. Finally, he answers with his usual serious tone, "Miss Lopez.." I swallow hard and force myself to answer in a calm voice, "Mr. Lincoln, my apologies for not answering your messages." He hums, staying silent for a moment. "Mr. Lin─"

"You know why I tried not once but multiple times to contact you today, right Miss Lopez?"

He cuts me off, his voice stern. I stay silent, feeling my throat dry. "I was informed last night about some accident between you and Mr. Alvarez. What surprised me is that my favorite employee, the one I thought was humble, well educated and mature, behaved very badly," I could hear the disappointment in his voice. "Mr. Lincoln, I can explain─"

"Please Miss Lopez, let me finish." I shut my mouth, no hope left for me. Come on Mr. Lincoln, say it. Say that I'm fired and let me call the room services before they end at 9, to bring whatever I crave, and let me go gain some weight and screw up my diet while watching the film Titanic and screaming at that bitch of Rose for not leaving some room for Jack to get on that fucking door and survive. Say it.

"I was surprised by his call this evening, telling me how much he's sorry for getting you into such an accident and for disrespecting you though it wasn't your fault."

And scream at her for fucking throwing such expensive jewelry in the ─

Wait... What the fuck did I just hear? My mind couldn't process what my boss has just said. I'm sure the ice cream must have frozen my brain. He did what? He apologized? Good joke, Mr. Lincoln, a mocking voice whispers in my head. I have no idea how to respond, so he continues, "And I, personally, thought it was your fault at the beginning, got angry and made the decision to fire you," Oh yeah, sure you would, "But now, knowing it's not, I must apologize for pressing you today and claiming you guilty for something you didn't."