⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 15﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

CHAPTER 15
𓂃 𖥔 track meets & invites 𖥔 𓂃⌗

"ok, team. remember, run fast, keep your breathing regular, and don't be a sore loser if you don't come first, kayla," we all laughed as coach russo jokingly pointed at kayla. it was finally wednesday and north denver high's track team had gathered on the running track. we stood in a huddle as we listened to coach russo. "right, hands in the middle. tigers on three. one, two three:"

we all cheered 'tigers' and our school mascot did a little happy wiggle as we all prepared for our races. I'd been so nervous for this moment, nightmares of failing everyone and them all hating me had plagued my dreams that past couple of nights.

as I stood at the water stand thinking, I looked up to the bleachers. and as he had promised, dad was sat with gwen and finney at the very front. my heart warmed as dad and the kids waved to me enthusiastically, gwen jumping up and down and waving her arms in the air. I giggled a little and gave them a small wave back. a few rows up, bruce, cheyenne, carter, cameron and arlo were sat together.

and two rows above them sat a big family of blondes, save for the father and maddyson who had black hair. there sat vance, maddyson, heather - their soccer-obsessed 12 year old, olivia and sydney - the 9 year old twins and baby caleb who was only 1. i'd heard a lot about the other siblings from vance, mostly how he hated being basically the only boy out of five girls. when he'd told me about his six siblings, I was shocked at the size of the family. I thought the three of us was a lot. but seven kids?? nah.

our principle announced that the first run would be the 100m sprint. sighing, I stretched my last muscles out before following katy out onto the track; the crowd began to cheer as we assembled to our starting positions.

"on your marks... get set...
GO!" a whistle was blown and we were off.

I ran with full intensity, the wind rushing in my ears and the crowd passing me in almost a blur. and as quickly as it started... it was over. I crossed the finish line and took a second to breathe as other runners passed me. everyone looked to the board with bated breath. they'd write the top three numbers on the board from third to best.

"you ran fast, but we don't know yet. it was close." coach russo said to me. "either way, you did so good, kiddo. and you, katy."

3rd: 4.89s
13

I wrapped my arm tightly around katy's neck as her number showed up, kissing her cheek as the audience applauded.

2nd: 4.13s
26

not me. we all applauded for the girl from east denver who ran. breathing through the nerves, I locked arms with imani and katy either side of me. all of us were nervous to see who came first.

1st: 3.99s
07

what??

I looked to my shirt to double check the number stapled to my chest.

07.

I'd come first! the audience burst into applause as coach russo took me into a quick, tight hug. as he pulled away as the other runners congratulated, katy pulling me into a strong hug accompanied by a peck on the cheek. I spotted gwen running towards me and scooped her up into my arms as I spun her around. finney jogged over and I pulled his head to my shoulder in an affectionate hug and placed a kiss to his hair. beside me, dad had his arm wrapped around my shoulders and placed lots of kisses into my hair.