⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 36﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

CHAPTER 36
⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅*cough, cough* i'm sick.﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

I sighed as I walked into bio class and sat beside cheyenne.

"you ok, babe? you look exhausted!" she asked me.

"no. finney's had a fever all weekend. dad's home with him now." I sigh again.

I was so tired. I'd been up and around for finney all weekend and was even woken up at nights when he was crying with his headache and wouldn't let anyone near him. I would sit with him on his bed with his head in my lap, raking my fingers through his hair gently as he sobbed. every whimper and sniffle would break my heart. I'd washed his sweat soaked sheets more times than I could count and had pressed ice packs to his forehead for hours as he napped.

"is he ok?" cheyenne asked.

"he'll be fine." I said, pulling my books out of my bag. "god, it's freezing in here."

"it's not that cold?..." cheyenne had a t-shirt on, while I wrapped my sweatshirt-clad arms around myself to try and conserve some heat.

***

during the weekend, I had developed a headache. I assumed it was just lack of sleep, but after I had napped in the back of geography, my head was still achey. I walked out of music class with a rhythmic pounding in my skull, but I just put it down to jason mackson playing the violin (horribly).

I sat down at lunch beside vance and put my head on his shoulder.

"you ok?" he asked me.

"just a headache..." I muttered.

"have you had anything to drink?" he pulled out my bottle of water from my bag and sighed when he saw it still full. he pulled my lunch out too. "c'mon, drink some. and eat too."

he placed them in front of me, but I pushed them away.

"'m not hungry." I murmured.

"you said you only had an apple for breakfast, you have to eat something." vance ordered.

"I said I'm not hungry." I pick my head up and rest it on my hand instead, shivering at the cold air in the cafeteria.

"are you still cold, y/n? you've been cold all day... it's quite warm!" cheyenne laughed.

"it's freezing." I said. everyone at the table shared a look.

"baby, are you sure you're ok?" vance asked me. he goes to place a hand on my forehead but I push him away.

"I said I'm fine, can't you take my word for it?" I snap. everyone looks a little taken aback, but I just sigh and rest my head in my hands.

***

vance and I got back to my house and I flopped onto my bed with a groan. my dad came in and with a smile.

"hey, vance. er, y/n, finney's been doing much better. I think he should be fine to go back to school tomorrow!" I push myself up as dad speaks. "if he isn't, you might have to stay home with him, I have to leave at 5am tomorrow. meeting."

"great, thanks dad." I said with a tired smile. "uhm, i'll be fine to stay home with him if I have to."

"great, thanks, sweetie. hey, you ok? you look a little pale..." dad suddenly frowned a little.

"yeah, I'm fine," I lied a bit.

"ok, just checking." as dad left, vance turned to me.

"you are a bit pale." I could see his worry etched on his face.

"baby, I'm fine. I promise!"

I was not fine. finney was. he woke up the next day excited to go to school. vance ended up sleeping over, and as he woke up, he could see how not fine I was. I was shivering, I had a high fever, I was complaining about an awful headache, I wasn't hungry for anything. I'd caught finney's fever. and I had it bad.

dad had gone and was in an important meeting, so there was no calling him for help. so vance got the kids ready for school, even made them breakfast, and then called his parents and told them the situation. neither of them had left for work yet, so mrs hopper came and picked us up while mr hopper pretended to be my dad and said I had caught a fever and wouldn't be in today; then hung up and called again, doing the same for vance.

they had lay me down in vance's comfy bed and left for work, after much fighting about whether mrs hopper should stay home or not. so it was just vance and I. and if any serious problems were to occur, we would call mrs hopper immediately.

I curled myself up in vance's red sheets, freezing cold. but he had tried to pry them away from me a little as I had a high fever. and then felt bad when he saw me curled in a ball on his mattress in horrid shivers so he caved and tucked me back up.

"vance?... can I have a hot water bottle?..." I asked weakly.

"baby, you can't, your fever's too high." vance said, stroking my clammy forehead. I whimpered out.

"but I'm so cold!..." I felt tears building.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry, angel." I could hear the sadness in his voice. "do you want some lunch? if I make some lunch, you can shower while I do? i'll give you some clothes after." I nodded and vance helped me up and to the bathroom. he placed some folded sweats to wear afterwards on the floor and began helping me. "ok, arms up."

I lifted my arms weakly as vance helped me undress and turned the shower on. he left to give me some privacy and I stepped into the water. it was luke-warm. not hot enough. I was freezing. I turned the dial up for hotter water and sighed as it hit me. I was warming up, good.

after my shower, I dried myself and pulled on vance's sweats. as I left to go back to the bedroom, my head felt dizzy. I stumbled and gripped the doorframe for support. I could faintly hear vance coming up the first set of steps, but would he be quick enough? shit. maybe a hot shower was a bad idea?

"vance..." my voice was weak. I was hot. overly hot. my head was worse than before. I wanted to peel my skin off if it meant being colder than I was now. I was about to call out again when my knees buckled and my eyes threatened to slide shut.

VANCE POV.
I was coming up the stairs, a bowl of {your favourite food} in hand when I heard a thump, like something falling. maybe y/n knocked something over on her way back to my bed? I walked closer I could feel the heat in the hallway. shit. please tell me she didn't.

I put the bowl on the floor and hurried towards bathroom. as I got closer, I could see y/n in a heap on the floor.

"fuck!" I rushed towards her and took in her appearance. sweaty and overheated. I helped her up to her feet, her arm around my shoulder and my arm around her waist. "tell me you didn't have a hot shower."

"I was cold..." her voice is a stumbling mutter. crap. she was leaning heavily on my shoulder as we walked. her head was down and her eyes shut. she looked like she was focusing on not throwing up. "I think I'm gonna pass out..."

I was about to tell her to just hold on when I got a look at her face. she looked like she had turned five shades paler. I decided to ease her down the wall gently, making sure she was comfortable. I put her with her head between her knees as I promised her it would make her better and rubbed her back. I was panicking. I didn't know what to do. after a few minutes, it looked like she would be ok before her limbs went limp and she slid to the side as she fainted.

"fuck!" I reached out to her, but her unconscious body hits the floor with a soft thud before my hands could reach her.

I lay her onto her side, not wanting her to actually throw up and choke on it. visions of her convulsing on the floor reached my mind and I shuddered. I sat with her on the floor, rubbing her back as she lay. I put her head in my lap and rested my back against the wall.

well what the fuck do I do now?

***

UH OHHH

WHY DOES Y/N NEVER LISTEN IN THESE BOOKS?? 😭😭😭

oh well it's good for the plot lmao