A Change of Pace

As promised...even though it's a little late...here's the first chapter of 'This is War' I hope you all enjoy :)

There was a thunderous roar throughout the Holyhead Harpies' stadium. There was a sea of gold and green that stretched from one end to the other. There was a small section of bright orange representing the Chudley Cannons. People were cheering their lungs out as fourteen witches and wizards flew high above the stands on their broomsticks.

Serena Carrow was sitting on her Firebolt flying from one end of the stands to the other holding onto the Quaffle. People were calling her name and cheering for her as she scored a goal on the opposing Keeper. She had just scored the winning goal right before the Harpies Seeker had caught the snitch. A whistle sounded to signal the end of the game and there was gold and green confetti flying through the air. The Harpies landed on the ground and they lifted Serena into the air congratulating her.

She had never expected feeling this accomplished at such a young age. She had only graduated from Hogwarts three years ago. Now she was living in London in a fancy, expensive flat that she was able to afford with her high paying job as a professional Quidditch player.

Serena and her team made their way into the locker room where Serena found herself bombarded by interviewers as usual. People held microphones up to her face and Quick-Quotes Quills jotted everything down she said as fast as they could. Cameras were flashing and people were talking at the same time. She always looked forward to her post game shower where she could finally be alone for a minute and think without people asking her questions.

Fame was something that Serena was still not used to. People came up to her all the time and asked for her autograph and for her picture. They told her that she was their inspiration and their idol. Serena didn't think her story was inspiring at all. She was just a young woman who loves Quidditch and would do anything to be able to keep playing.

When the stadium was empty and there was nothing left but confetti covering the ground, Serena was finally able to leave after a quick meeting with her teammates.

"Nice win everyone," said Gwenog Jones, the Captain of the team. "Now remember, we have two days off but then we will continue practice again on Tuesday. Don't be late. You all may go now."

Serena was excited after winning a game. Gwenog usually gave them one day off if they lost and two days off if they won. So far they were undefeated this year, but their hardest competition would be facing them in two weeks time. Puddlemere United, which also happens to be the team that her boyfriend Oliver Wood plays for.

Serena Apparated outside of her flat and made sure that no muggles had seen her. She unlocked the door to her apartment and she was surprised when the smell of roast pork and potatoes hit her nose.

"Oliver?" asked Serena as she placed her Firebolt in the closet.

"In here, love," answered Oliver. Serena smiled as she walked into the kitchen and her smiled faded when she was the mess that he made.

"Oliver...are you making dinner at this hour?" asked Serena. It was well past ten o'clock.

"Well - attempting to," he said as he was frying something mysterious in a pan. "I mean - you cook every night, and I figured you'd be hungry - so I tried to do something special - and well - you can see that I'm failing miserably."

"Well, you have never cooked anything in your life so I'm not surprised," said Serena with a huge smile. "But I am very surprised that you wanted to do this for me."

Oliver turned around and faced Serena. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a deep kiss.

"Congratulations on the win," he said.