What do we do now?

The next morning, Serena woke up early before Oliver. She cleaned the house a little bit to make it feel less dreary. She opened up the windows downstairs to let some sunlight in and swept the floors using an old broomstick she found in a closet. She even washed the few dishes that were in the sink, without using magic. It was tough and Serena couldn't believe that muggles did this all the time, but she knew she'd get used to it. She began to cook some breakfast after figuring out how to light a match for the stove.

Oliver woke up shortly after the bacon started sizzling in the pan.

"You're up early," he said as he came up behind her and kissed her neck.

"I slept pretty well, actually," she said.

"At least one of us did."

"Were you up all night?"

"Most of the night," he said as he sat down at the kitchen table. Serena noticed his five o'clock shadow and the way the sunlight made his light brown hair look blonde. "I fell asleep around 3am I assume."

"I'm sure you'll get used to it soon," she said as she flipped the bacon. "It's a new place...and it's scary."

"Do you need help with anything?" asked Oliver.

"You can start cooking some eggs if you want," she answered. "They're in the refrigerator."

Oliver was surprised to see how much food Serena had managed to grab before their sudden escape. There was a jug of pumpkin juice, a carton of eggs, some cheese, sausages, lettuce, and a little bit of ham. He grabbed the eggs and then shortly realized he had no idea how to cook them.

"Are you okay?" asked Serena as she flipped the bacon again.

"Um...I know I'm supposed to crack them open, but that's about it," he responded.

Serena smiled. "You've never cooked an egg before?"

"Not without magic, no."

"Here," said Serena as she took the egg from his hand. "You just crack it open like this, carefully so you don't get any shell in it." The egg sizzled on the hot pan. "And now you wait until the clear part turns white and that's how you know it's finished."

"You never cease to amaze me," he said as he cracked another egg into the pan.

"Why? Because I know how to cook an egg?"

"Not just that, but you know how to do so much. You've had so much more worldly experiences than I have and you just know how things work...I dunno, you just always impress me."

Serena smiled and kissed him gently on the lips. "I don't know as much as I pretend to."

"That's the secret of life, I think."

Serena raised an eyebrow at him.

"As long as you pretend to know what you're doing, people will believe you and that's all that really matters most of the time."

"I suppose that's one way of looking at things," said Serena.

"I mean, think about it. Say you didn't really know how to play Quidditch. As long as you pretend you know how, you'll lead others to believe you know how and then you'll learn eventually."

Serena thought about it for a minute.

"That's kind of like lying though," she said.

"I suppose," said Oliver as he scooped a finished egg out of the pan. "But not really. Depends on how you look at it."

"You've an interesting way of looking at things Mr. Wood," she said as she scooped the bacon onto a plate.