The Dark Lord

Lord Voldemort appeared in the flesh. Serena's heart was beating so fast she thought it would pop out of her chest. He seemed confused as to why he was here until his eyes fell across Serena. A snake-like smile spread across his face and Serena wanted nothing more but to run and hide.

Don't be a coward, she told herself.

"Oh my," said Lord Voldemort as he slowly walked towards Serena. She tried to step back but for some reason her feet wouldn't move. Her eyes pierced into his and she could not look away. Seeing him in the flesh for the first time was amazingly horrible. "The girl with the affinity for the elements. And not just one element, all four of them. I do say that's rather impressive. Our little Quidditch star."

The Death Eaters chuckled. Serena stared at him without speaking. She didn't know what to say. The most feared wizard in history was speaking to her and she had no words.

"I do believe your father is the one who has kept you secret all these years," he continues. "He knew the true meaning of your powers. Selfish man. He wanted to keep you to himself."

"He wanted to protect me," said Serena quietly. Voldemort looked at her as if she had spoken out of turn. Maybe she did, but she didn't care. "Everything my father ever did was to protect me."

"Oh my dear child. You think so highly of your parents, when they think so little of you."

Don't listen to him.

"If your parents truly cared about your fate, they would be here standing beside you, would they not?"

Serena began to think that maybe he was right. Her father was on the run to save himself, not her. But he did everything he could to protect her his whole life. She knew that. That's why he didn't want her learning how to use her powers. That's why he didn't want her telling anyone...right? And as for her mother, she would be here if it weren't for Dolohov.

"You know nothing," said Serena trying to fight back unwelcomed tears.

"Oh, my dear. I know much more about you than you think."

Lord Voldemort took a couple of steps back and began to pace the room without breaking eye contact with Serena.

"Serena Faye Carrow, twenty years of age, daughter of Vance and Faye Carrow. You attended Hogwarts School from 1987 to 1995 in the House of Slytherin. Your best friends were Maggie Acker, Olivia Hawthorne and Jade Curtis...am I correct so far?"

What the hell, how does he know all of this?

Serena said nothing but just stared intently on those cold, yellow, snakelike eyes. He just smiled and then continued.

"You were the star of your House Quidditch team, although you failed to ever win the House Cup. Your boyfriend however, Oliver Wood had beaten you two years in a row. Oh how you loathed him at first. You both hated each other, am I right? But somewhere along the way, you fell for each other. To this day, you remain faithful to each other. He helped you learn how to control your powers. He helped you in hiding. He even proposed marriage to you, most recently."

Serena's stomach churned as this conversation was beginning to steer more towards Oliver. How did he know all of this? She gulped a little too loud.

"Just leave him out of this," she said less confidently than expected.

"It would be a shame if something were to happen to him, or his family."

No!

"Please!" she yelled. Everyone in the room jumped slightly except for Voldemort and stared at her. "I'll do anything you want. Just, please, leave my family, Oliver and his family out of this. This has nothing to do with them."

"Oh, my dear child. You must know by now what I want from you."

There's a silence that hangs in the air as everyone waited for Serena to answer.

"You want...me. For my powers," she said quietly.

Lord Voldemort laughs. It isn't a pleasant laugh.

"I want you...to join me and my Death Eaters," he says. "You have a most powerful gift that could prove most useful to me when I take over the wizarding world."

Coming here, Serena thought that she would let them kill her. Now she realized that if she does that, he will never stop. He will go to the ends of the Earth to find her family, Oliver, his family, Jade, Maggie and Olivia and everyone else that she loves and kill them. Letting them kill her was the coward's way out. She was not going to die a coward and she would be damned if she joined him.

"If you accept this offer, I can provide a life for you that you've only dreamt of," he continued coolly. "However, if you decline, you and everyone you love will die."

A shiver ran down her spine. She knew this was true, but him saying it made it worse.

Why, oh why did I come here? What the hell was I thinking?

"Your answer, Serena."

All six Death Eaters along with Voldemort were watching her closely. Her wand was in her back pocket and she would not die a coward. She would die protecting her family and friends.

"Not today," she whispers. Before anyone could react, Serena had summoned enough energy to cause an Earthquake as she slammed her fist into the ground. The floorboards split into two dividing herself from the Death Eaters and Voldemort. The Death Eaters lost their balance and fell to the ground. Voldemort however remained standing. Serena didn't see much of what happened next because she was running. She ran out the door and was shocked when she realized that the ground outside had split into two as well.

She picked up the broomstick and mounted it. Before she was able to kick off, she was sent flying through the air. She slammed into the ground and she heard her wrist crack.

"AGHHH!" she cried out. She saw Lord Voldemort slowly make his way towards her. She reached in her back pocket and whipped out her wand with her hand that wasn't broken.

"STUPEFY!" she yelled. A jet of red light went flying towards Voldemort, but he had managed to shield himself.

"Foolish girl!" he yelled. "You have no idea how fatal of a mistake you've made."

He raised his wand at her and she raised her hand before he could say anything and a nearby tree had cracked and fallen in front of him, separating Lord Voldemort from herself. She had little time. She sent the fallen tree up in flames to bide herself more time.

"Accio broomstick!" she shouted. The broomstick sped towards her but to her horror, it had snapped in two. It was useless. She was done for.

"SERENA!"

A familiar voice floated through the air. She spun around and Oliver was on his broomstick flying towards her.

"ARE YOU INSANE?" he yelled as he touched down on the ground. "Grab my arm!"

Serena grabbed his arm and before she had time to say anything, her stomach felt like it had shot up into her skull. Her head was spinning and within seconds, they had ended up back inside of Fred and George's shop in Fred's bedroom where they had been sleeping. Once Serena's mind had caught up with the rest of her body, she realized they had just Disapparated from Malfoy Manor.

"What. In. The. Bloody. Hell. Were. You. Thinking?"

Oliver was mad. She had never seen him this mad before, even when they hated each other. She knew she was in trouble.

"Oliver, I'm sorry – I"

"Serena," he said as he closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Don't. I'm not in the mood to speak with you right now."

Holy shit. Serena just stood there and watched as he left the room. It was about 6:00 in the morning. Maybe she just needed to give him time to calm down. He'd come and talk to her, he had to. She flopped down on the bed, replaying everything that happened this morning. She wasn't scared before, but she was scared now. She uncovered nothing! She had no idea where her mother was, she had no idea how Voldemort knew so much about her past and she just had gotten herself into more trouble. She was in more danger than ever.