Another Safe Place

By the time winter rolled around, Serena and Oliver were comfortable in their new home and did not want to pack up and leave but they knew they had overstayed their welcome. They had been flying under the radar making sure that no one was suspicious of them and also making sure that no wandering eyes were looking their way. They liked the privacy, but Serena was beginning to miss her friends and her teammates and not to mention her mother.

"So I was thinking that maybe we could go home for Christmas," said Serena one night at dinner. Her and Oliver were enjoying a leftover casserole that she had cooked the night before.

Oliver stared at her with a shocked expression. "Serena...we can't exactly go home. The Death Eaters ran us out of our home."

"I know," said Serena as she mindlessly twirled the stem of her wine glass. "But I don't know how much longer I can go in this confinement."

"I know," said Oliver. "I feel the same way."

Serena gave him a shy smile.

"Maybe we could go for a few days," he said. Serena smiled and jumped up from her chair and thanked Oliver with a kiss.

"How are we going to get there?" she asked sitting on his lap.

"We'll have to fly," he said. "But we'll have to travel at night again. We can't risk being seen by anyone."

Serena and Oliver waited until the last possible moment to leave. They agreed to go see Serena's mother first and then Oliver's family second. Serena wanted to make sure that her mother was safe. They packed the few belongings that they had in Serena's bag with the un-detectable extension charm. It felt like they would be returning, but Serena knew in her heart that they couldn't.

"Do you really think this is a good idea?" asked Serena moments before their departure.

"Not really," said Oliver. "But we can't stay cooped up in that house forever. Besides, I think seeing your mum will do you some good."

Serena let out a breath that she didn't know she had been holding in.

"Hey," he said as he placed a strand of her loose hair behind her ear. "Everything is going to be okay. Okay? I won't let anything happen to you."

Serena forced a smile before he kissed her gently.

"Let's get out of here," said Oliver as he mounted his broom. Serena zipped her coat up all the way to her neck and mounted the broom behind Oliver. She knew the ride would take an hour or so and the weather was brisk.

"You cold?" asked Oliver as she wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Not anymore," she mumbled as she kissed his neck. "Let's go."

When they arrived at Serena's house, she wasn't surprised to see the house completely dark. She assumed her mother would have been in bed. The only thing that struck her as odd was that every house on her block was dark. Even the streetlights were out.

"I've got a strange feeling about this Serena," said Oliver as the walked up to the front steps of her parents' house.

"Me too," said Serena nervously. "Maybe we should wait until the morning."

"We have nowhere else to stay," said Oliver. "Just go inside. I'm sure you're welcome, you used to live here."

The words "used to" really plucked her heartstrings. Serena walked into her house with Oliver trailing closely behind her.

"Lumos," she whispered as she ignited the tip of her wand. Oliver did the same.

Her home looked like she remembered it. The dark furniture and old décor looked exactly the same except for that it looked like it hadn't been dusted in months.