Prologue

Prologue

Kim sits at his large desk in his office, a stack of contracts and documents about upcoming projects spread out in front of him. His eyes feel heavy and tired as he sifts through the papers, his mind struggling to focus on the words. He takes a sip from the coffee mug beside him, hoping the caffeine will help clear his mind.

There are several piles of fan mail on his desk, some of which he's already sorted through. Most are from girls telling him how his music helped them through a difficult time, or just how much they love him. It's nice, but repetitive.

Next to the fan mail is a notebook full of lyrics he wrote on the road during his last tour. Most of them are sad or angry and filled with thoughts of a certain doe-eyed boy he hasn't seen in almost six months.

Kim looks out the window for a moment, watching the city below as the sun begins to set. Somehow it feels strange to be back home after weeks on the road; back in a place where he can only be himself. Going on tour and escaping into his pretend life as Wik had been so much easier. Now it is back to reality and it looks like it was going to be a long night.

The doorbell rings, followed by two knocks and Kim sighs. He knows it must be one of the bodyguards from the compound. It's the sign they have, and no one would make it to his floor without being checked several times by the guards he employs himself. They must know the individual. Since his family never visits and no one else knows the place, it can only be one of the bodyguards. With Big dead, he wonders who they are sending now to get on his nerves.

Kim doesn't look up as the front door opens, not when someone walks slowly towards him.

"Khun Kim."

Kim is surprised by the man he sees when he looks up from his desk; so surprised, in fact, that he startles. His heart races as he watches him walk towards him. Kim can't help but feel surprised and slightly apprehensive at the sight of him. After all, he thought he was dead. But there he is, alive and well, and Kim can't help but wonder what he wants from him. It's not as if he'd ever visited before.

"Chan. I thought you were dead." It's not a nice thing to say, but it's the truth. Kim had heard that Chan had been shot during the attempted takeover of the compound and had bled to death in front of the house, cigarette still in hand. Another lie, another faked death.

"I'm surprised they were able to stitch me up and get me back on my feet after three months," Chan greets him, his voice slightly hoarse. Kim takes a moment to study Chan's face. He can see the weariness etched into his features, and it's clear that he's still recovering from his injuries.

"You didn't come to my father's funeral," Kim continues. He's not sure why he brings it up, but it feels like something he should say.

"I wasn't able to leave the hospital then. To be honest, I am still not fit enough to be back, which is why Khun Kinn has me helping with strategy and keeping an eye on everything and everyone, and otherwise mostly resting," Chan replies.

Now that Kim has a closer look, he can see that the man looks already exhausted and probably shouldn't be on his feet for too long. He motions to a chair opposite him on the other side of the desk and silently invites Chan to sit down. As Chan takes a seat, Kim tries to relax, but he can't shake the feeling that something is wrong with this whole situation.

"He's really dead this time, in case you're wondering. I came back from Japan just to check," Kim tells Chan, hoping to get to the bottom of why he's here.

Chan nods, and Kim can tell that they both understand each other. They both know that Korn's death is a blessing in disguise, and that they're all better off now that he's really gone. 'Good riddance' is not a thing you should think about your own father's death, but it's the kindest thing that has crossed Kim's mind. It's been three months and Kim has never felt more free.