Chapter 11

"It feels strange to be back here," is the first thing Porchay says when they step through the gates of his and Porsche's house. The garden is overgrown with weeds and even Kim is sad to see the house and garden like this.

"Porsche should have some of his men come over here for maintenance."

"He says he doesn't want anyone in here and I feel the same way. I don't want strangers coming here without us," Porchay tells him. Kim can only nod. He has to admit that he wouldn't let strangers into his own apartment either. It's his sanctuary, and Porchay feels the same way about this place.

Men had swept the area before Kim and Porchay entered, but they had left as soon as it was clear that there was no immediate, obvious danger.

"Let's check the gate before we go in." The door is already closed behind them and the old steel gate doesn't look like much, but Kim wants to take a closer look anyway. "Do you know if security was ever installed here?"

"Not that I know of. I mean, who would have paid for it and why? The loan sharks always found us here anyway and were able to break the door down."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," Kim fiddles with the lock on the gate.

"It's not your fault."

"My father could have protected you from all this. He's the one responsible for your parents not being around anymore. It's my damn family's fault. It ruins everything it comes into contact with."

Kim feels a hand on his shoulder and turns his head, looking up from where he is inspecting the locks on the door. Porchay looks him straight in the eye. "It's not your fault," he repeats.

Strangely, now that it reaches Kim, because he is forced to listen, he feels better, at least a little. The guilt he always feels when he looks at Porchay diminishes.

"Okay," he says, swallowing hard to get the word out and accept the fact. Then Kim turns back to the lock. "That's not the original lock. Did you have it changed?"

"I don't know. Maybe someone broke it?"

"Maybe." Kim nods, because it's a possibility. "Let's go inside?"

They stop in front of the front door and on closer inspection Kim sees something he has never noticed before: There are small holes in the wall from screws. He points to them and raises his eyebrows in question at Chay.

"There were screws in there?" Chay speculates correctly.

"Mmh, it's the perfect position for a surveillance camera of the courtyard. There were similar holes at the gate as well."

"I don't remember any cameras here."

"You were very young when your parents disappeared. But we know that you all lived here together when your mother was still part of the family. Your father must have known as well. I don't think your parents would have lived here without some kind of security. But let's go in and see what else we can find.

As they enter the house, Kim pauses at the flashbacks; everything looks the same as the last time he was here, only dustier. The couch they cuddled on, the pictures and books on the shelves, the homely feel. Kim understands why Porchay wants to move back into this house.

"I've missed being here," Porchay whispers into the silence, and Kim allows himself an encouraging squeeze on Porchay's shoulder, because he still doesn't dare to initiate another hug.

"Are you ready to do the bug and laser check on your own for the first time?" Kim takes the small tool from his pockets.

"Really? I get to do it?" Porchay sounds excited.