Chapter 1

Kim stops his Maserati in front of the main entrance, not caring how it is parked. Instead, he grabs his bag from the passenger seat before opening the car door and getting out, noticing the five bodyguards guarding the main entrance alone. Kim also sees the new electronic security entrance and the bollards that rise from the ground at the main gate now that he has driven in. Kinn seems to have updated the security quite a bit and Kim likes what he sees.

Throwing the keys to one of the men bowing to him, he slings his bag over his shoulder and enters the house.
His heavy combat boots are loud on the marble floor, but he's not planning on sneaking in. He wants people to know he is here. The black ripped jeans and black shirt are more mafia than rock star and comfortable enough to fight in. His main battle today may be more psychological than physical, but that's exactly why he needs this outfit. He thought about wearing the leather jacket, but decided against it because he thought it was a bit much and it's too fucking hot outside.

"Khun Kim," two more bodyguards bow to him as he stops in front of the lift and he realises he doesn't know their names. They must be new and he will have to ask Chan for the files on the new guards so he can check them out. For now, he just nods at them as he steps into the lift and presses the button to close the doors. They will have to wait for the next one.

"Khun Kim," he hears again as he steps out of the lift on the fifteenth floor to find Chan standing there waiting for him. Compared to the last time he saw him a week ago, he has a little more colour in his cheeks.

"Chan," he greets him, slowing his pace so the older man can keep up. "What's new?"

"Nothing, Khun Kim. Like I said, Khun Kinn and Khun Porsche are down in Pattaya on business this weekend and Khun Noo is holding a talent contest for the three new bodyguards he has been assigned. Arm's keeping an eye on it for me so it doesn't get too out of hand," Chan reports.

"Porchay?"

"No changes. He's in his room and as far as I know hasn't left since the family dinner on Tuesday night.

Kim sighs. "Let me just put this in my old room and then we'll go and see him. I also want an update on the new guards at the house and the changes that have been made to the security system all around."

Chan nods. "Of course." He is already typing on his phone, most likely setting in motion the things Kim just mentioned.

"How are you holding up?" Kim asks him as they make their way to his old room, past the guards who seem to be guarding the floor he shares with Tankhun.

"I'm afraid I'm not healing as fast as I thought. I'm not sure I'll ever be fit enough to resume my former position."

Kim unlocks the door to his room with his fingerprint. "You shouldn't have been in the first line of defence anyway. We have younger, more dispensable people for that."

"Your father would have disagreed."

"My father was a psychotic bastard and I still don't know how you spent all that time around him and didn't just put a bullet in his head." The door is closed behind them and they are alone in Kim's room, but it still feels strange to be able to say something like that out loud in here. The walls have ears and his father always ended up knowing everything.

Chan just chuckles.

"Any advice?" Kim asks him, already thinking about the reason why he is here in the first place.

"I think you should go with your gut. Besides Khun Porsche, you're probably the one who knows him best. But in comparison, you might be the only one who gets to see the real him. I don't think he'll be able to pretend with you, so that might be to your advantage. You also have the element of susprise, since he does not expect you."