Recovery part 7 (Four Swords)

⚠️NOT A SHIP⚠️

Shadow's pov:

I opened my eyes to see that I'm back in my cell. I shakily got on my feet. Looking down to see the lack of bandages or chains, that and my tunic was even perfectly intact. Before I could question my situation the cell door swung open. But... no one was there. I took a half step forward. 'Should I go to it? Or do I stay put?' I hesitated. I know Vaati better than he thinks. I know he'd use his magic to open the cell door and wait for me to get close. Then pop out, accuse me of trying to escape, and use that to beat me senseless. With this in mind I stepped away. Going to a corner and sitting down. Giving no reason for Vaati to accuse me of escaping.

It only took what seemed like a few minutes for Vaati to get tired of waiting and storm in. His ruby eyes scanned the room, before settling on me. The were filled with rage and had an all to familiar insane look. I couldn't stop the shiver from running through my body. An over dramatic flick of his wrist and a dagger appeared. Walking painfully slowly towards me. Leaving plenty of time for my anxiety and nevers to spark. When he finally got close enough he lifted the dagger up above my head, positioned to pierce my skull. I tried to get up and run, but my body refused to respond. Then knife came flying down, as I braced for the pain.

. . . . .

Vio's pov:

I made my way to Shadow's room, a tray with food and bandages on it. We didn't know how long it has been since Shadow last ate, and his bandages probably needed change. Unfortunately no one wanted to do that, something about how touching a dark being lead to being cursed. So I gave in and took the job. I was nervous about seeing Shadow again, I've been trying to give him space since last time I saw him. I clearly stressed him out, that was two days ago. 'It's pathetic, I only lasted two days.' I sighed and opened the door, balancing the tray in my other arm.

Upon walking in, I saw that Shadow was still asleep. A closer look worried me. Sweat was gathering on his face, which was scrunched up. He was curled in on himself, holding himself tightly. 'He must be having a nightmare.' I placed the tray on the table as quickly as I could, without dropping anything. I only brushed my hand against his arm before he shot up. I jumped back in surprise. Shadow wasn't aware of my presence. Breathing heavily, eyes wide open and filled with fear. "Hey hey, relax. It's alright, you're alright." I whispered, not wanting to scare him.

Shadow's pov:

I jumped at the sudden voice, instantly looking towards it's owner.  Vio, hands held in front of him, posture in a calming way. However, I could see the pity in his eyes. I felt a flicker of anger form, and I grabbed it. Hoping it would help draw me away from the borderline panic I feel. I felt my eyes narrow and looked away. "You alright?" Vio asked, he whispered like I'd panic if he talked any louder. I chose to ignore him, not wanting to give him the reaction he wanted. I felt Vio stare at me for a moment before sighing and giving in.

"I have to change your bandages, I also brought you something to eat since we don't know when you last ate." Vio said, placing a tray on the bed and sitting down infront of me. I felt my arms wrap around me, feeling the bandages underneath my shirt. 'Why does it have to be him? Why couldn't it be anyone else?' I glanced at Vio, who was watching my every movement. Reading my body language like an open book, I knew he was. I could never hide anything from him, he knew it somehow by how I acted.

Vio's pov:

Shadow's face was expressionless, but his posture echoed his anxiety. I could tell how anxious he was over me changing his bandages. "Listen, I'm sorry I tried to let someone else. But no one who was actually experienced was willing to, so I have to. We'll do it and be done, I won't comment or anything else. I promise." I tried to comfort him. Shadow seemed to only half believe me, and nodded still not looking at me. "Which do you want to do first?" I asked him.

Shadow hesitantly pointed to the roll of bandages. I nodded, "Best to get it done and over with." I agreed with him. "Um, can you take off your shirt please? That way I can work there first." Shadow in return, rolled his eyes but took it off. Revealing the slightly bloody bandages underneath. I sighed in relief. 'It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.' He turned himself around so I could start.

"Alright I'm going to unwrap them. Oh kay?" I wanted Shadow to know what I was going to do before I did it, he deserved to know that. He deserves to know what was happening to him. A slight nod from Shadow, and I undid the pin. With Shadow's help I unwrapped the bandages around his chest. I suppressed a wince at the marks Vaati left. Trying to keep true to my word and not say anything. Unvoluntarily my eyes wandered to the mark of Vaati. I've seen that mark before, but now it was definitely redone and somehow looks worse than it did before. I grabbed a damp rag and wiped away the blood, checking for any signs of infection.

Shadow's pov:

The marks on my back stung as the air hit them, I tried not to squirm. Letting Vio help was better than fighting him. I heard a sharp whistle between his teeth, and the shaky sigh that followed. I felt him stare for a moment, before a cool sensation came. I felt myself relax, it felt calming and nice against my marks. A content sigh escaped me as Vio ran the cloth against my back. I found myself leaning into the touch. Letting the moment of calming quiet rush over me. It's been years since I've last felt like this.

I felt a lot calmer when the time came for Vio to check my chest. My anxiety was still there of course, but I wasn't in danger of a panic attack now. I rested my head against my hand, letting Vio do his thing. Enjoying how the cloth brought relief to those mark as well. "I'll bandage your back, you do your chest?" Vio asked. Remaining true to his word and not directly mentioning my injuries. I could tell that he was a little more relaxed as well, probably because I wasn't as stressed.

Vio's pov:

I felt a lot calmer than when I first started. Shadow seemed to enjoy the feeling the cloth brought. I was surprised when he relaxed and a content sigh escaped. I couldn't help the smile forming. I was happy that he felt calmer and better, but it was sad how so little would make him so content. It just showed how little he was ever given, good things that it. Pain there was plenty of. Doing the rest of his bandages was simple and easy. I'd clean any blood and we'd pass the roll back and forth when the other couldn't reach. Not a word required, just like it used to be. Out of everyone in all reality, I was closest to Shadow. Only he could communicate with me without words. With this, I was hopeful that we could be like that again. I missed Shadow as my best friend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been awhile hasn't it. Originally this was going to be darker. But it's already fairly long so I spared you all. You'll get more angst next chapter. For now enjoy the calm! Stay safe!