It's oh kay (Four Swords)

WHAT A SURPRISE, I'M NOT DEAD! Enjoy the angst or don't. Warning, there's two flashbacks fairly close together

Shadow's pov:

Soon after Vio finished with the bandages he grabbed the tray again. Putting both the old bandages and the remains on. But then he grabbed a plate and handed it to me. Surprised I looked at him. "Wasn't sure if you're hungry." He said before returning to tidying up. 'When was the last time I ate?' I wondered staring at the plate. Then it hit me, what happened last time.

Flashback

Vaati decided to torture me by dragging me to dinner with him. The silence was heavy around us and you could cut the tension with a knife. I rubbed my arm nervously, trying not to react to the pain I received from my sleeve against my most recent cutting session. I felt Vaati's ruby red eyes staring at me, searching for the slightest imperfection. Some Bokoblins entering the room helped with this. They were carrying food while a Lizoflos watched, making sure they didn't try anything. They thankfully didn't and put the food on the table. It seemed like a lot of only two people though. As quickly as they came they left. Vaati grabbed some of the food, a part of a roasted chicken and a roll, and put it on his plate. I kept my hands to myself, uncomfortable with eating right now. Vaati noticed after a bite or two. "Not hungry shadow?" He taunted, referring to my kind rather than my name. Before I could respond he continued. "Or is this too fine for a pathetic waste of space like you? I mean you grew up on half cooked meat with that rodent." My hands turned into fists. Being called worthless, I was used to, but bring my mother into this and calling her that was uncalled for. I tried not to react but my eyes gave me away by turning red. Which encouraged him.....

End of flashback

His taunts continued to swirl in my head. I put the plate on the bedside table, not hungry anymore. I stared at my hands on my lap. I could feel that Vio was looking at me now. "Hey, you alright?" I nodded not really paying attention.

Vio's pov:

I could tell something was bothering him. His mood suddenly dropped, and his eyes darkened, they turned red around the edges. I recognized the look.

Flashback

I've never had a meeting with Vaati, Shadow always handled those. But after learning how much Vaati hurt him in a short period of time, I was worried. I found the perfect place to snoop. Neither Vaati or Shadow could see me, but I had a perfect view of them. Vaati wasn't happy on how things turned out. Apperently only 'killing' Green wasn't enough. So Shadow took the brunt of his angry. "You really are useless. Why didn't you kill them while they were vulnerable? It was a perfect opportunity that you as stupid as you are should've seen it. But no, I have to clean your mess because you pathetic waste of space couldn't!" I bit the inside of my cheek trying to hold back. Vaati had no right to call him that! And...... and Shadow believed every word. It's obivious through the way he shrunk in on himself, his eyes echoed his feelings. He believed it...

End of flashback

I sighed, upset over a couple of reasons. Walking over to Shadow, I tilted his head to look at me. "I know what you're thinking, and you're wrong. He is wrong about you. You are not pathetic, you're not worthless, and you're most certainly not a waste of space." Shadow's eyes grew in surprise, some red disappearing. He searched my eyes for the slightest hint of doubt, the slightest lie. Anything to tell him, I didn't mean it. But I know for a fact he didn't find anything. "You don't have to eat right now, but you need to sometime. I don't care what Vaati has told you. You're a person." I knew that it would take at least a few months of constantly telling him this to convince him. And that was if nothing went wrong. It could very easily take years to convince him. But seeing the disbelief and the lack of trust in his eyes hurt nonetheless.

Shadow's pov:

I wasn't expecting Vio to read me to so easily. And when he did it was scary. I really couldn't hide anything. I hated how much someone I didn't know if I could even think about trusting again, could read me so effortlessly. He knew exactly what I was thinking, who I was thinking about, everything. And the thing is..... when he told me otherwise. There wasn't a shred of uncertainty anywhere in his eyes. 'Did he really think that I'm not just a shadow?' I couldn't see anything that suggested he didn't, but I didn't trust him to think he did. Finally I gave in and signed to him. "Do you really think that?" Ever since I woke up, I've tried to keep Vio from knowing I'm mute right now. But I finally gave in.

Vio's pov:

I was very confused when Shadow signed to me instead of speaking. Thankfully I was frustrated how much I screwed up last time and has been working on it. "Of course I think that. But.... why did you sign?" I asked sitting beside him. Shadow looked down before responding. "Vaati took my voice somehow right before he..... you know." I covered my mouth in horror. I didn't even know he could! And.... and Shadow had to suffer through all of that in silence. How did I not realize sooner?! Without thinking I pulled Shadow into my arms. Thankfully remembering to be careful of his injuries. Shadow was still in my arms, probably due to shock.

"I'm so so so sorry you had to deal with that. And that I didn't realize." I buried my face in his shoulder, trying to fight back my emotions. I felt Shadow's arms wrap around me. Rubbing my back, like I did to him what feels like months ago. Things became so much clearer now that I knew the truth. He never talked to me, not because he was mad at me. But because he couldn't. I couldn't help the laugh that escaped. "I feel like such an idiot right now." I laughed pulling away. I took a second to calm down. "Does anyone else know?" A familiar smirk formed on Shadow's face. "Red." I shoved his shoulder playfully. "He knew before me? You little-" I broke out laughing.