Chapter 10

Vi doesnt know when, or where, but shes been escorted to a new building, new cell, and new people surrounding her. Mara is the one familiar face.

The room is damp, like a dingy basement, only more spacious. It smells like piss and mildew. She tries not to heave as the smell lays thick in her lungs.

Mara flashes a folded note when Vi eyes her, tucking it away under the waist of her pants for later. Vi waits patiently as the guards do their sweep before leaving for the night.

Mara slips her the note after strip checking the bunk. Mara finishes the search in a reasonable time, not to alert the other guards. She moves on to the next prisoner. Vi lays down, pretending to sleep, but instead peaks at the note under her blanket. 

Violet,  we have a plan. Dont worry a hair on your fat head.

Sorry, we asked her not to write that. 'We' as in the moms and the boys, Matilda is in the other room with our dads. But, Powder is right. We are coming, my love. Hang tight.

We arrive at dusk before the solstice. Before your last fight. Be ready.

The solstice is less than a week away. Its the event that launches the final fight. Vi breathes deep, hides the note, then allows herself to drift before they wake her for the next fight.

-

"Do you think she got it?" Caitlyn worries, pacing the lounge in front of Vander.

"Im sure she did. How are you and Powder on the bombs?"

"Honestly, i have no clue. She insisted she worked alone. That, and her lab scares me a bit, so i happily let her take this one. Besides, mother and father are helping me on finding a gun for Matilda."

"Is she ready for that responsibility?"

"I think so. Shes with mother on the range as we speak. Mother insisted on teaching her a skill or two in case things go south."

"Thats smart. Lets hope things dont resort to that."

-

After many posture checks, Cassandra stands off to the side as Matilda shoots at the ranged targets. After the chamber is empty, she shows the girl how to reload. "Now you get to reload the next."

Five shots ring, but Matilda counts six. Cassandra waits for the last. Matilda goes to reload the rifle. "Wait-" The last shot rings. Cassandra holds her arm below the scar Caitlyn gave her. "Go inside. We will talk later."

Matilda sprints for the house, tears welling in her eyes. She bursts through the parlor in heaving gasps. Vander and Tobias look worried as Caitlyn rushes to her daughter. "What happened love? Are you ok?"

"I- Shes-" Matilda breaks down in sobs.

"Im going to check on your mother." Tobias hurries out to the range.

"Breathe for me sweetheart. Slow and steady. What happened out there?"

"When-When i was-was reloading, i shot- i shot her! Mom i shot her and i didnt mean it! I didnt i didnt i swear!" Caitlyn holds her close, running a hand down her back to soothe the child.

"It was an accident my darling. One i, too, have made. It will be ok."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Im sure." Caitlyn wipes the remaining tears from her cheeks before turning to Vander. "Did Vi send anything with Mara today?"

"Her bird hasnt been spotted yet. Give it some time. We dont know how far theyve taken her."