𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞, 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞

❝ so i'll use my voice, i'll be so fucking rude

so i'll use my voice, i'll be so fucking rude. words, they always win, but i know i'll lose

༺ ❖ ༻
chapter five,
𝐇𝐎𝐏𝐄

——— IT'D BEEN A MANY DAYS since the passing of Prince Loki and Princess Lidianna. The Realm was in mourning, at least that's what Triston was told. He hadn't left his bed chambers since the night she died. He hadn't eaten, talked, or even slept, and if he did, he just had nightmares about Lidianna falling to her demise. The pain he felt, was like nothing he ever knew. It was nothing. He felt nothing. He was numb to feeling, and he'd been numb ever since that night. He didn't care for anything. Not anymore. So much so that after so many days, Lady Sif had to drag him out from bed. She ignored his begs for her to leave him be, and the yelling. She had gotten used to his fits after being his mother for so long.

"I don't need to go," he whined, not wanting to listen to his mother.

"You must. You have been held up in here for days. You must show your face to the Kingdom. You are still a Prince," Lady Sif ordered but huffed annoyed when he just dropped back on his bed.

"Have father do it. He's the next King, not me," he said.

With one last pull of her strength, Lady Sif pulled her son up from his bed and onto his feet, giving him a stern look. "Your father has been covering you for days now without complaining once," she lectured and a frown etched onto him, "Come to this one banquet, eat some food. You'll feel better...and then you come back here. Tomorrow, we can go horseback riding, or to the fighting grounds—" but Triston scoffed, turning away from his mother, irritated with the woman who was just trying to help. She narrowed her eyes at the back of his blonde head. "I know you are hurting—"

"You don't know anything!" Triston snapped, turning back to her, anger fuming his eyes and his chest, "I can't sleep, mother. Not without seeing her face, sinking in the cosmos. She pleaded for me to help her, I saw in her eyes, she didn't want to die. I tried to help, but she slipped through my fingers. I...lost her," he then looked back at his mother, a frown lining her lips as a tear slipped his face, "Unless you know what this is like, this numbing pain, then you don't know—"

"Loki was like this," Lady Sif suddenly said, and he stared at her conflicted.

"What?" He asked.

"All those years ago when you and Lidianna were just children. There was word going about that Lady Kaarina was dead when she disappeared suddenly," Lady Sif began to explain and the Prince stared at her intently, having not heard that name in so long. Kaarina. He still remembered his aunt so well, remembering how much it hurt when she— "And you knew your Uncle, how he was. When he got the news, he almost went insane. He raged. He was aggressive. He got into fights with anyone who just looked at him wrong. I'd like to think that was the beginning of the end."