Chapter 46 - The Last Days

Whenever I'm in California, I never want to leave. It's so different here. I always feel so good here. Especially at this house. I've been coming here all my life and I pray that never stops.

There's so many memories here. Good and bad. There's not many bad though. Only small things from when I was younger. Like when I was eleven and my grandparents had people over one night. I wanted to be like the adults so I tried to put a bunch of random chips on a plate with some dipping sauce. But as I was walking it over to everyone in the living room, I tripped. The food and sauce went everywhere and all eyes were on me. It was so humiliating. I ran to my room crying. My grandma came in and talked to me making me feel so much better. The rest of the night was fun.

Another bad memory, my grandma dying. It broke my heart so much. I know it left my grandpa heart broken too. Way more than I was. There were together since they were eighteen.

Kind of like me and Justin. I hope we get married and became as happy as my grandparents were. They gave me so much hope in love.

"Hailey." I heard behind me. I quickly stood up from the sand.

"I don't want to talk to you." I told Landon. He stopped in his tracks. Not far from me. I came out here to be alone. I don't want to be bothered by him. I don't even want to be near him. It's ten at night and I just wanted to listen to the sound of the waves before bed.

"Please just let me say something" He begged. He looked so serious.

"Why should I?" I asked him.

"Please. Just hear me out. You don't even have to respond." He begged again. I crossed my arms and just stared back at him. I nodded without saying a word. "When I was in town for your birthday, I seriously had no intention of ruining anything for you. I was there just for you. But when I saw you and then I saw him, something in me wanted to just piss him off. So I was a dick to him. I did try to stir the pot a little." He told me.

"I know." I said back nodding.

"And the other day when I texted Justin, I don't know what came over me. I guess maybe I was jealous of Jaden too. Even though he's your best friend, he gets to be loving with you anyway. I guess I felt the need to hurt them both." He stopped and shook his head. "Because I like you, Hailey." He said and I don't know why I was so surprised. "I have for a long time. I just didn't really admit it to myself till your birthday party." He told me.

"I don't feel that way with you." I said shaking my head.

"I know. I'm just going through so much-" I cut him off.

"That is not an excuse, Landon" I said raising my voice just a little. That excuse will not make me feel bad. "Do you expect to me to forgive you just because you said you're going-" he cut me off.

"My moms sick again." He blurted out quickly. My arms dropped from my chest. I felt my mood soften. He looks so upset. I know he's not lying.

"What?" I questioned silently.

"Your mom didn't tell you?" He asked me. I shook my head. "She told her when they went to dinner last night. We don't know how much longer she has. A-and I'm not using this as an excuse to be a dick. But I-I don't know what I'm doing anymore. My dads too busy with his other family in San Diego. My moms acting like everything is fucking fine. But it's not. And I'm not fine." He ranted to me. I actually felt bad. His mom is the nicest woman.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't know." I said back. I wasn't sure what I could even say. That's all that came out.

"So when you asked me what you did wrong, you did nothing wrong. I'm just being a fuck up. So I'm sorry. Really, I am. You didn't deserve that." He told me honestly. I crossed my arms again, but more because I was cold now.