Elytrian Rescue

This was a requested Oneshot from a reader on Ao3

Enjoy!

-----------

Nighttime was the only moment on the island where you didn't see a single one of it's residents outside of the immediate vicinity of their homes. Monsters that grew stronger over the last few weeks roam the unlit areas, sometimes even daring closer to the lit up homes if they see easy prey. Scared for the safety of their children and their own, the people of the island barricade themselves in their houses until the sun burned away the horrors of the night.

But tonight seemed to be different. Despite the moon being high in the sky, two figures hurried along the side of the wall, purposefully avoiding any areas showing signs of someone living there. Two figures out on a mission for their own personal gain, unbothered by the dangers of the night. They had neither partner nor child to take care of anymore, there was no point in trying to be careful.

"Don't you think this is a bit far?" The taller person whispered when they arrived at their destination on the docks. The rails who brought them to the island sat high above them on top of a lit up bridge. But down here it was dark, perfectly hidden from the eyes of anyone who might be watching. "It gets the job done, that's all that matters." The shorter person angrily fiddled with something in his hands, small wings fluttering on his back.

"I'm just saying Quackity, this seems a bit extreme..." "Shut up Charlie. We don't have time for your mood swings right now." Charlie looked down at the letter he and Quackity had prepared, a handful of photos and a feather stuffed into the envelope as well. The avian was currently trying to seal the envelope shut. He had a bad feeling about this... this just can't be the only way to do this right? "Why don't we just talk it out with him-" "Like he did with you during court? When he wanted you to NOT get Flippa back?" "You know he never said that... he was just pissed that I tried to hurt his kid."

Quackity finally managed to seal the envelope shut, quickly scribbling an address on the front. "Don't go soft on me now! Do you want your child back or not?!" "I do! And I know I said I'd do anything to get her back, but killing him-" "Good, then shut up and do as I tell you. This will get your child back and Tallulah into my care. Everything will be as it should."

Charlie still nervously shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "But why do you want Tallulah if you could just wish for Tilin to-" "I told you to shut up!" The human flinched, backing away a step. The last big fight with Mariana just an hour prior had left him jumpy and vulnerable enough to probably do the most stupid thing he could right now.

The teleportation rune was attached to the letter, then Quackity handed it off to him. "Send it. Now." Charlie looked down at the letter. He could still run, shred the paper to bits and forget it ever happened. But he wants Juanaflippa back so badly, to right what wrongs he committed both to his own child and to poor Tilin, even if Quackity didn't wish for his original child to come back. If he gets Flippa back, maybe Mariana and him will get along again, could try to be a family.

"What are you waiting for?!" Charlie carefully tied the letter to an arrow and aimed up at the sky. Of course Quackity won't send it himself. He doesn't want anyone able to trace it back to him, in case someone finds out. He needs to be in a good light so they will allow Tallulah to stay with him once this is over.

Charlie swallowed hard, hands only shaking slightly as he shoots the arrow and watched it disappear into the night sky.

"Forgive me Phil..."

-----

Days were starting to blend together in the never changing routine on the island. In the mornings they would check the tasks given to them by that stupid duck thing from the TV. Depending on what the tasks are, they will structure their day around it. Exploring had to be done early so they have enough time, since those usually took hours of traveling. Simple tasks like special foods or school work could wait an hour or two unless it was to specifically write about the exploring you have done.