CHAPTER 4 - Frenemies.

The weather in Oxford had improved.

Which meant, the Equestrians had to resume their practice.

Valerie was especially delighted after hearing the news. She had missed those green fields and the feeling of euphoria when riding on the horses. The experience was ecstatic, almost heavenly.

But she was in a dilemma as to what to say to Julian.

She can't hide forever though, she has to answer him one day.

It was a Thursday, she was at the barn.

She had just arrived at the field and had changed into her uniform when she was approached by a cheerful Sebastian.

"Hey, are you keeping well?" He said, coming over.

Valerie decided to maintain a friendly gesture.

"I'm good. How about you?" She asked.

"Can't be better" he replied putting on his gloves.

Valerie stared at the open field ahead of her. It was a lovely day. The sun was still bright above their heads, but the cool breeze was really welcoming. As if singing a silent song.

Valerie got on her horse and took off, not wanting to waste another precious moment. Most of the members had already started the training. Julian wasn't present.

He had to leave for a tour on Tuesday. A research tour.

"Its very important for my future" he had told her seriously. Although she couldn't totally agree on that judging by his tone.

In the midst of her thoughts, Audrey, a teammate approached and greeted her. They couldn't meet very often during the break.

Soon, Valerie started with the training too.

About two hours later, they were dismissed by the riding instructor.

Valerie decided to go through the field one last time before leaving. That's when Sebastian came to her again. An impish smirk on his lips.

"Wanna compete?" He asked.

She was planning on declining, she didn't want Sebastian to fall off his horse again and blame her again.

But, "You would lose anyway" was the comment that made her accept his challenge.

And they started off.

Valerie was leading at first, but in no time Sebastian caught up with her. He flashed her a superior look and went ahead.

At this point, they only had a few hundred feet to cover up.

Valerie was determined to win, so she sped up her horse. She was catching up again at a fast rate when the horse took an abrupt turn without warning, as a result her body shook from the effect. Her feet was still caught at the stirrup on the stable when she fell causing her left foot to suddenly burst open with pain.

She groaned noisily, cursing under her breath.

Sebastian had stopped too. He quickly came over.

"He- Jesus Val, what happened?" He asked a pain-stricken Valerie lying on the grass.

"I- I do not know, the horse suddenly took a turn-" She made an attempt to get up, in vain.

He helped her up taking her to a nearby bench and sat her down.

"Stay right there, I'll call someone" he came back and said after he had taken the horses away at the barn.

☆♤◇♡◇♧☆