CHAPTER 19 - Open Wound.

Valerie couldn't stop talking.

Sure she was placed in the second position, but that didn't stop her from sharing her experience.

Their riding instructor would be proud.

Sebastian was smiling throughout the journey back home, the Davis twins were bickering again, Dahlia was trying to simultaneously text her girlfriend and manage them at the same time and Julian was peculiarly quiet.

"-and when we were nearing th-" Valerie's sentences hung in the air as she stared at Julian.

"Hey Julian," She stared, her voice a bit too sweet. "Can I have your headphones?"

Julian remained silent, staring at the black mole on his left foot.

"Hello?" Valerie said in a singsong voice. A bit louder this time. Julian still remained non-responsive.

"Julian!" Her voice tore through Audrey's shrill voice, abruptly pausing their argument for the time being. Julian jumped and stared at her.

"Well?" It was Sebastian who shot him the question.

"Well what?" Julian finally spoke, his voice hoarse. He cleared his throat.

"Something's bothering you, what's wrong?" Valerie squinted her eyes at him.

"Nope, everything's great." He replied.

"Then tell me, by exactly how many seconds did I lose by?"

Julian stared at her dumbfounded. "Uhm.., sorry, I zoned out."

"You can tell us if anythings bothering you, you know..." Valerie lowered her voice.

Julian shook his head, "If there was anything, I'd be the first to let you know. Trust me. Now go on." He nudged her with his elbow. In the front seat, the twins stared bickering again, whereas Dahlia had fallen asleep on Sebastian.

They both smiled at each other, knowing the good days were the result of their own effort, knowing that the days to come will be better, if they were together.

Her heart didn't have time to worry now, lest the mild peace she still had would also vanish in thin air.

☆♤◇♡◇♧☆

"Valerie?" Sebastian's voice echoed through her hotel room.

He rubbed his temples, where the hell was she? He had been searching for her for almost an hour now. He raised his voice again,"Hey, I swear if you don't respond this time, I'm going to leave you in London for a month now. Don't you want to return?"

Still no response. She wasn't even answering her phone, damn this girl.

He looked for her in the kitchens again next, and sure she was there, perched up on the counter. Consuming what looked like a whole jar of peanut butter.

"The last time I checked, you weren't here." He stated, folding his arms.

"And when was the last time?" She asked, swallowing a sickening amount of peanut butter.

"I don't know, maybe an hour ago?" He asked, raising his left eyebrow.

"And you think I will sit still for an hour?

"First of all, don't consume that much of peanut butter if you value your digestive system. Secondly, do you remember that we were supposed to return?" Sebastian asked approaching her and grabbing her shoulders.