Chapter 8

July 2009

It’s family day at school today. Tom says it’s a joke, just a day for the teachers to show the parents that they really do teach us stuff. I think it’s fun. I get to be with Dad and Claire all day and Tom gets Mum.

Dad and I walk into my first class. Claire walks beside me, her tiny hand in mine. Dad takes a seat at the back with the other parents, but Claire wants to sit with me. I ask my teacher if it’s ok. He says it’s fine.

We are in maths. Well, grade ten maths. I’ve been moved up a grade in math because I was finding grade nine maths boring. I sit at the front of class. I don’t know that names of the boy and girl who sit on either side of me. The girl just stares at the bored all lesson. While the guy turns around every now and again to whisper to the two guys behind us.

Today, nobody is really paying attention. The teacher rambles on at the front of the classroom while the parents pretend to understand what he’s talking about. The students just talk with each other. Claire sits on my lap, smiling at someone over my shoulder.

‘Hi, Claire,’ someone says, ‘nice to see you again.’

I turn around to find green-gold eyes looking over my shoulder at Claire. Claire smiles in return.

‘Hey, Tanna,’ Tyler drags his seat over to sit beside me.

‘Hi,’ I say shyly.

I can feel my cheeks growing hot as a scarlet blush creeps over my cheeks.

‘I didn’t know you were in this class,’ I admit.

Tyler just laughs.

‘I only moved into it last week,’ he shrugs.

Claire fidgets on my lap.

‘Are you parents here?’ I ask.

‘Nah,’ he shakes his head and nods in the direction of the adults, ‘my aunt is though. What about yours?’

‘My Dad is here. My Mum’s with Tom.’

‘Interesting,’ he mumbles.

‘What’s interesting?’ I ask.

Claire looks at him and cocks her head to the side questioningly.

‘It’s just that,’ he pauses, ‘I would’ve thought your mum would’ve been with you and your dad would’ve been with Tom.’

‘Mum wants Dad to spend more time with Claire, but she knew Claire would want to come with me,’ I shrug.

He shrugs too, looking down at Claire. She smiles up at him.

‘How old are you now, Claire?’ he asks her.

I smile, not many people address Claire. She holds up two fingers, smiling.

‘You’re two?’ he nods, ‘do you talk?’

Claire, still smiling, shakes her head. Tyler frowns at this, and looks back up at me.

‘Claire’s mute,’ I explain.

‘Oh,’ he starts to blush, ‘I didn’t mean to ask questions or nothing.’

‘No, no,’ I say quickly, ‘it’s good that you asked her. She hates it when people ignore her. Just because she’s mute it doesn’t mean she’s stupid. Actually, she’s a genius.’

‘Really?’ Tyler asks, looking at Claire.

Claire nods and leans over, putting her hand in his. Then she takes my hand with her spare and looks from me to Tyler and back again.

‘She goes to The Little Miracles Gifted Children’s College,’ I say.

‘Oh yeah, I’ve heard of it,’ Tyler fidgets a little under Claire’s gaze.

‘She’s very intense,’ he says. Claire frowns at him and he quickly adds, ‘you’re very intense.’

She smiles back, accepting this as an apology for talk about her. I laugh.

‘I know what you mean,’ I say.

I look up at him, only to find him staring at me. His green-gold eyes look deep into mine. I want to turn away, but I don’t think I can. I feel Claire wriggle off my lap and onto the floor. I reach out to grab her arm, but I can’t tell where she is.

‘You have really pretty eyes,’ Tyler whispers, ‘really blue.’

I smile shyly, finally managing to look away. Tyler looks disappointed and embarrassed.

‘I’m sorry,’ he mumbles.

‘No, don’t be sorry,’ I reply, looking up quickly.

He smiles at me. He opens his mouth to say something, but then quickly decides against it.

‘Ok, everyone, that’s all for today,’ my teacher says loudly.

Then the bell goes. Before Tyler has a chance to say anything, Dad is dragging me out the door, mumbling about wanting to find my mum.