Chapter 23

March 2011 continued

I storm back to the elevators. I’m very glad the one I step into is empty because I’m fuming. I can feel my face turning red and the tears burning my eyes. I wipe furiously at my cheeks when the salt water starts to fall. The elevator dings and I step out into the hallway. Tyler is waiting for me. When he sees me he frowns and opens his arms for me. I accept his embrace, crying into his chest.

After a few minutes I calm down and we go back to the room.

Dad, Tom and Claire are all sitting on the couch eating waffles when we walk in. Dad takes one look at my face and sighs. He puts his plate on the coffee table and opens his arms. I fall onto the couch beside him and curl into his side.

‘I’m so sorry, Tanna,’ he whispers softly.

Tyler sits beside me, patting my back. Tom stands behind me and runs his fingers through my hair. Claire crawls into my lap and holds a tissue to my cheeks.

‘She’s not coming back, is she?’ Tom asks.

I shake my head. Claire continues to dab my face with the tissue. I wrap my arms around her and hold her close. We sit like that until I have no more tears to cry. We then spend the rest of the day packing our stuff. Our flight isn’t due to leave until mid-night, so Tyler, Tom and I take Claire to the park while Dad finishes the rest of the packing.

At the park, we all notice our mother sitting on a bench in the shade. We all just ignore her but it’s very hard. At one point, it seems as if she is going to walk over to us, but Tom and Tyler stand up and glare at her until she goes back to her bench.

‘Why don’t we just go?’ Tom asks.

‘Because if we go then she wins. We told Dad we’d be here until five, so we’re gonna stay here until five,’ I say.

Claire takes my hand, nodding her head in understanding. So we stay until five. My mother stays sitting onto her bench, watching us from afar. Back at the hotel, Dad has finished packing. We call for a taxi, which takes us to the airport. We go through security and sit in front of the big windows while Dad gets us sushi for dinner.

I dig through my bag, looking for my book. Instead, I find a three envelopes, all addressed to me. Inside each is a letter. The first is from Dad.

Dear Tanna,

                I know you’ve been through a lot. But I would just like to say that I think you are the most amazing daughter I could ever ask for. You are so beautiful and kind; I find it hard to believe that you are a part of my life.

                I would like you to reconsider giving up your position at the Australian Ballet Academy. You are an amazing dancer and this is the chance of a life time. You don’t need to worry about Claire. Maria has said that she will baby sit her on the days I work late.

                You deserve to live your dream.

I love you,

Dad

The next is from Tom.

Dear Tanna,

                Hopefully you’ve already read Dad’s letter. Hopefully it has already convinced you to take the dance academy opportunity. If not, I hope this will.

                You are the most amazing sister in the world. You spend all your time looking after Claire and helping her when she needs it (which is very rarely). I just want to tell you that, if you don’t go to Sydney and join this academy, I will drag you there myself. If you do go, I’ll join you in Sydney next year. I want to send my gap year next year making your dream come true. This is now my new dream.

                I want you to be as happy as you can be and I know you are at your happiest when you dance.

Please take the opportunity,

Tom

The last is from Tyler.

Tanna,

                Your brother told me you got accepted into the Australian Dance Academy. He also told me that you are going to turn it down. I’m guessing that’s why you didn’t tell me. But what I want to know is why you are turning it down.

                If it’s because of me, don’t. I’m not worth it Tanna. Take the opportunity. I’ll finish year twelve and then join you in Sydney next year. I promise.

                If it’s because of your Dad and brother, don’t worry. Both of them are strong. They’ll get through it.

                But, if it’s because of Claire, ask her. Ask her what she wants you to do. If you really care about her that much, ask her what she wants. If she tells you to stay, then stay. But if she tells you to go, then you go. That little girl knows you better than you do, so listen to her.

You know I’ll always be there for you,

Tyler

By the time I finish reading the letters, I’m crying. I probably look like a complete moron, crying in the middle of an airport, but I don’t care. I wipe my eyes and turn to my little sister. She just hands me a single strip of paper.

Dance.

I smile at her and nod, tears streaming down my face again.