Chapter 21

March 2011 continued

We are staying in the Hotel Ronceray Opera. It’s very nice. On the first day in Paris, we all see the Eiffel Tower. The view from the top is amazing, but it’s still a bit cold, being the beginning of spring and all. Quinn and I go to the Louvre while Dad takes Claire for a walk around some parks and the boys find a suitable place for lunch. We meet back at the hotel for an afternoon nap before going out again for dinner. Tom takes photos of everything.

On the second day, Dad takes Claire back to the parks, she enjoyed them very much, while Quinn, Tom, Tyler and I check out the Notre Dame Cathedral. That night, the four of us see Swan Lake. It’s amazing. By the end, both Quinn and I are crying. Tom continues to take photos all day.

The third day is spent lazing around the hotel. Even Dad and Claire seem very tired. We sleep most of the day and only leave to eat. Tom still gets a few photos in.

Our forth and second last day in Paris is the most interesting. Tyler decides to take me for a picnic in one of the parks Dad mentioned. While he is unrolling the blanket, I spot a woman sitting on a bench on the other side of the park. She’s watching us. I point her out to Tyler but he just shrugs and says something about woman longing for the young love they see every day. I just laugh, but every now and then I check over my shoulder.

After twenty minutes, the woman still hasn’t moved. I notice something very familiar about her. Even though her hair is covered by a lovely floral scarf, I can see it is sandy-blonde. I frown. I’d even bet all my money that, behind her dark sunglasses, she has sky-blue eyes. I gasp as I realise who it is.

‘That’s my mother,’ I whisper in shock.

Tyler looks up at the woman. He chokes on a cookie as realisation takes over him. The woman, my mother, hurriedly stands up and starts to walk away. I stand up and run after her, Tyler close behind me.

‘Hey, hey you!’ I yell.

People walking past look and frown at me.

‘Excusez-moi,’ Tyler says to people as he tries to keep up.

‘Stop,’ I yell to my mother.

She just walks faster, her heels clicking on the concrete path. She’s not fast enough though. I grab her scarf and pull it off her head. She turns around, scowling at me.

‘How dare you, you rude child,’ she spits at me.

‘How dare I?’ I spit back, ‘I’m not the one who left her husband and three kids without even a letter to say why she left!’

‘Tanna, you have no right,’ she starts.

‘No, mother, you have no right to call me rude. You could’ve at least called to tell us you’re ok.’

‘Tanna,’ she starts again.

‘And another thing, how did you know I was here?’

‘Your father.’

‘Dad? How did he even know you were here?’

‘Tanna.’

‘You’ve been here every day, haven’t you? Seeing him and Claire? Why not me?’

‘Tanna, please.’

‘And what about Tom? Did you even know he has a girlfriend?’

‘Tanna, just shut up,’ she says.

People are staring now.

‘S'il vous plaît nous en excuser. Ma fille est un peu hystérique,’ she says hurriedly to everyone staring.

People start to leave.

‘Please, Tanna, can you be civilised. Let’s go back to my house. We can talk there,’ she holds out her hand.

I look her up and down with disgust.

‘I’m not going anywhere with you,’ I spit.

She sighs sadly.

‘I don’t blame you. I’ve been terrible to you, all of you,’ she says.

‘At least we agree on something,’ I say.

‘That was uncalled for,’ she says.

‘Well it’s true,’ I reply.

The look in her eyes is one of deep sadness, but I don’t fall for it.

‘Fine, I’ll meet you at your hotel for breakfast. We can talk then. Tyler you are welcome to join us,’ she says.

‘No,’ I say stubbornly.

‘No?’ she asks.

‘No, breakfast will just be you and me. We’ll have a real,’ I pause, ‘heart to heart.’

She sighs again, in defeat this time.

‘Fine, I’ll meet you in the lobby at eight. See you then.’

‘Can’t wait,’ I spit.

Then I turn and leave. Tyler doesn’t ask any questions. He sits on the blanket again and I lie down, my head in his lap.

‘Gotta love our mothers,’ he says.

‘At least yours isn’t mental,’ I say.

He laughs and I can’t help but smile.