Chapter 16

February 2011 continued

Tyler and I stand hand-in-hand at the front desk of Mother Lavon’s Hospital. He takes a deep breath before ringing the little bell on the counter. A small man with salt-and-pepper hair walks through the back door. He smiles when he sees Tyler.

‘Ah, Tyler, your mother is expecting you,’ he clicks the mouse and the computer lights up, ‘who’s your friend?’

‘Kirin, this is my girlfriend, Tanna. Tanna, this is Mum’s nurse, Kirin,’ Tyler introduces us.

We shake hands over the desk and Kirin turns back to the computer. After a few seconds he looks back up at Tyler.

‘Your mum is in the gym,’ he says simply.

‘Thanks,’ Tyler replies.

He leads me down a long hall and out through a set of French doors. The doors lead to a magnificent garden. There are a few people, most of them middle age women, taking walks or sitting in the sunshine. One is even painting on an easel. The path we are on leads us to a large white building. Inside, there is only one woman standing beside a CD player. She is fairly young with long brown hair and soft green eyes. She smiles when she sees us.

‘Tyler,’ the woman coos, taking her son in her arms.

He hugs her and there are tears in both their eyes. Tyler steps back, taking his mother’s hands in his. Laffita looks me up and down.

‘My dear little Tanna,’ she says, a sad smile spreading across her face.

She lets go of her sons hands and pulls me into a hug.

‘You remember me?’ I gasp, tears filling my own eyes.

‘How could I possibly forget my most promising pupil,’ she replies.

She steps back, taking one of my hands and one of Tyler’s.

‘Now, you young man, promised me a dance,’ she turns, letting go of our hands, and sits down on the closest seat.

I sit beside her, smiling at Tyler. He quickly turns on the CD player. Then he hurries to the middle of the floor and readies himself. When the music starts, Tyler is off in a serious of spins and twirls. The dance mesmerises me. I can’t take my eyes off him. He dances with such grace and precision. When he is finished, both Laffita and I clap. Then she turns to me and smiles.

‘Tanna, you must dance too.’

Luckily, I am prepared for this. Tyler had warned me that Laffita may want to see me dance, so I brought with me my point shoes and a CD with my songs on it. After putting on my point shoes, I put the CD in the player and hurry to prepare myself. The song starts out slow, the movements mainly slow and small spins. But the pace soon picks up and I am leaping about and twirling and posing. Both Tyler and Laffita clap when I am done.

‘That was more than I had expected,’ she laughs.

She steps forward and kisses me on the forehead. Tyler suddenly stiffens, looking very worried. He quickly checks his watch.

‘Mum, look at the time, Tanna and I must be off,’ he says quickly, taking my hand and almost running for the door.

‘But you only got here,’ Laffita’s tone is no longer happy and carefree.

When I turn back to look at her, it is like she has suddenly aged twenty or so years.

‘Yes, but Tanna needs to be getting home,’ Tyler sounds nervous.

I notice he is fumbling with a key ring on his jeans.

‘Does she now? Are you sure it is not you who needs to be going?’ Laffita stands very still, her hand on the CD player.

‘I am sure it is Tanna who needs to leave. She needs to go home to babysit her sister.’

‘Well then, Tanna can leave and you can stay longer. Tanna doesn’t mind, do you sweetie?’

I don’t know what to say.

‘You don’t mind, do you?’ she sounds very angry.

‘Umm,’ I hum.

‘You don’t mind!’ she yells, pushing the CD player to the floor.

There is an explosion of plastic and wire. The next thing I know, Kirin is standing beside Laffita. He is pressing a syringe into her arm. She stares wide-eyed at me. Tyler pulls me towards the door. He looks very angry and upset. At the car, his aunt is waiting for us. She sees his face and sighs.

‘This happens every time,’ she says, getting in the car.

Tyler holds open the door for me.

‘What happened?’ I ask.

‘Mum got angry about us leaving. I knew the second she praised your dancing that she would do anything to make us stay,’ he sighs and leans heavily on the door.

‘Get in, Tyler. The sooner we are away from here the better,’ Kelly says.

Tyler sighs again. I take his hand and squeeze it reassuringly. The rest of the car ride is very quiet.

‘I’m sorry you had to see her like that,’ he whispers as he walks me to the front door.

‘Its fine,’ I sigh.

Suddenly tears and in my eyes. I wipe them away with the back of my hand, trying to make sure Tyler doesn’t notice. He does. He steps forward and hugs me. He hugs me until I stop crying. Then he kisses me and runs back to his aunt in the car. I go inside. Tom is sitting on the couch. I sit beside him. Neither of us says anything. We don’t need to. We already know what the other is thinking.

This is all her fault.