Chapter 17

March 2011

Dad drops Tom and I at school before going with Claire to a meeting with Maria. Maria seems to think that Mum leaving might have a negative effect on Claire’s psychological development. Honestly, I’m worried too. Claire has shrunk into her shell. Before Mum left, she wasn’t very fond of strangers. But now she is absolutely terrified of anybody she doesn’t know.

I give her a kiss on the cheek and jump out of the car. Today must be my unlucky day because, just after I shut the door, I realise that I’ve shut the back of my skirt in it. I try to pull it out but it is stuck firmly. Tom sees my predicament and tries to help me pull it out. But there is no need, by the time he reaches me; Dad has started to drive off. I cry out in horror as the material tears right up to zip, which breaks because there is now no seam holding it together.

Tyler sees us and runs over, pulling his school jumper out of his bag. He quickly wraps it around my waist and ties it for me. I pull all the bobby pins out of my hair and quickly slide them into place to keep my skirt from falling down.

‘Thanks mate,’ Tom hits Tyler on the back.

Tyler takes my bag for me. Tom winks at me before running off to find his friends. I take Tyler’s hand and he follows me to my locker. The bell rings and I hurry so Tom and I aren’t late for homeroom. At my locker, the lock brakes as I spin to the first number. Tyler lets me put my stuff in his locker. I drop my math text book on the top shelf. The screws holding it up break and it crashes down to the next shelf, causing that one to break as well.

I pick up the book, turn it over in my hands, turn around and throw it at the locker-room wall. Then I lean against my broken locker and slide down so I’m sitting on the floor. Tyler drops both our bags in his locker and slams it shut. Then he pulls out his phone and calls someone.

‘Hey, Aunt Kelly . . . Yeah I’m at school . . . No, I was wondering if you could call the school and tell them I can go home . . . It’s Tanna . . . I’ll call her dad . . . I’ll explain later today . . . Thanks . . . Love you too.’

From the side of the conversation I hear, I guess Tyler is planning to get me out of school for the day. He hangs up and then calls another number.

‘Jason, its Tyler . . . Actually I was wondering if you could call the school so I can take Tanna out for the day . . . She’s having a bad day . . . Her skirt is ripped beyond repair, her locker is broken and she accidently broke mine too . . . It got stuck in the car door . . . She’s just very upset. I was thinking of taking her out for pizza . . . Yes, I’ll have her home by five . . . Thanks Jason.’

He hangs up again and picks up our bags. Then he holds his hand out for me. I take it and he pulls me to my feet. We go to the office. Tyler’s aunt and my dad have already called in and we are allowed to sign out. We walk back to my house. I get a pair of jeans and a t-shirt from Tom’s room for Tyler to borrow. Then I change into my green sundress and black converses. We leave our bags in my room. Tyler grabs his wallet and we leave. We walk to the plaza and go to Gemma’s Gourmet Pizzas. We eat chicken and chilli pizza and drink chocolate milkshakes. Then we go to a movie, Little Red Riding-Hood. It’s really good but a little scary. After we go to the ice skating rink for the four our session. It’s so much fun. I don’t fall over once and I don’t get any blisters.

When we get back to my place, Tom is sitting at the front door.

‘What’s up?’ I ask.

‘I’ve been waiting for you for over half an hour,’ he moans.

‘Why didn’t you go inside?’ I unlock the door.

‘I left my key in my room,’ he sighs.

‘Looks like Tanna’s bad was transferred over to you,’ Tyler laughs.

‘Ha ha,’ Tom says sarcastically, ‘lucky you for getting out of school.’

‘Yes, but I had to have my skirt torn and brake two lockers for it to happen.’

‘Still, you could’ve gotten Dad to get me out too,’ he sighs, dropping his bag in the hall.

‘Put that away or Mum will be pissed,’ I say before I can stop myself.

We all freeze. Both Tom and Tyler step forward to comfort me. I step back, shaking my head.

‘No, I’m fine,’ I whisper.

Then I turn and run back to my room, slamming the door behind me.