Chapter 11

January 2011

My sixteenth birthday. I’m having a party. Not as big as the party Tom had. I haven’t invited fifty people. I invited thirty. But only twenty are coming. I think that’s a good thing. I’ve invited all the girls in my group at school, a few of the kids from my dance classes, and Tyler and his two friends Liam and Joel. Everyone seems to be having a good time.

My best friend, Grace, has taken over the dance floor with her hip-hop jazz moves while Missy and Jules take turns with the microphone. Ray and Corey, from dance, are trying to flirt with Bridget and Hannah. Five of the girls are crowded around the food table, where Claire just happens to be stuffing her little mouth with chips. Naomi and Cora are flirting with my brother while Demi, Wes, Tina, Liam and Joel sit around the stereo talking. I watch all this from my spot on the couch beside Tyler.

He holds my hand. We aren’t technically boyfriend and girlfriend yet, but all my friends and all his friends know we like each other. In between Christmas and now, he’s invited me to all his outings with friends and I’ve invited him to all of mine. He hasn’t done more than kiss my cheek. I wouldn’t mind a real kiss, but not yet. I want to get to know him more.

Around ten, Mum brings out the cake. It’s just a plain chocolate cake with “Happy Birthday Tanna” in blue frosting. Everyone sings Happy Birthday and I cut the cake. I’ve already hit the plate with the knife before I realise the mistake I’ve made. With all of us being older than twelve, with the exception and Claire, you would’ve thought we’d be more mature. But no. Everyone starts yelling, ‘kiss! Kiss!’ Including Dad. Tom has his camera at the ready, Mum stands in the corner frowning, and Claire is turning purple with silent laughter.

Before I know what’s happening, Tyler has pulled me too him and pressed his lips to mine. I close my eyes and melt into the kiss. Everyone erupts into cheers. I can see the flash of the camera through my closed eyelids. When Tyler steps back, I duck my head and giggle. Grace winks at me. Liam and Joel hit Tyler on the back. I look back at Mum, whole is scowling at Tyler. Dad is smiling proudly at the both of us. I finish cutting the cake and hand out slices. I sit on the couch. Tyler sits next to me and the rest of my friends sit around us. Claire sits on my lap, cake smudged all over her hands and face.

Everyone is picked up around ten. Everyone but Tyler. His aunt called saying that she got a flat tyre on the way here and will be a bit late. Mum is cleaning up, Dad is putting Claire to bed and Tom is checking out all the pictures he took so Tyler and I go and sit on the back deck.

‘I’m sorry if you didn’t want that kiss,’ he whispers.

‘No, don’t be sorry,’ I take his hand, ‘it was nice.’

He slowly leans over and kisses me again. When he leans back I’m blushing again.

‘You’re really cute when you blush,’ he whispers, kissing my cheek.

I blush again and he laughs.

‘So, next weekend, you wanna go out?’ he asks, ‘with me?’

‘Oh, next weekend?’

‘Yeah.’

‘Oh, umm, it’s Claire’s birthday party next weekend,’ I say.

‘Oh yeah, Valerie’s going to that,’ he laughs.

‘How about the weekend after?’ I ask.

‘Sounds like a date,’ he kisses my cheek again.

‘Tyler,’ Mum yells from inside, ‘your aunt is here.’

He sighs.

‘Damn, well, I’ll see you at Claire’s party.’

He goes to stand up, but I pull him back to sit down. I kiss him, on the lips. He hugs me tight. Then, we break the kiss and he leaves. I go upstairs.

‘Tanna,’ Tom stands in front of me, ‘wanna see the photos?’

‘Sure,’ I follow him to the computer.

On the screen is a picture of Tyler and I, just before he kissed me.

‘Good picture, don’t you think?’ Tom asks.

I’m looking up into Tyler’s eyes. He’s looking into mine.

‘It is a good picture,’ Dad comes up behind me, ‘he’s a lucky boy.’

‘Daaaaaady,’ I laugh.

‘Well, it’s true. Now, off to bed. It may be holidays but you two need your rest.’

He kisses my forehead and head off to my bedroom.