𝐓𝐄𝐍

The cool marble of the countertop chills your forearms as you sit at the breakfast bar to eat your takeout. Your dad was late - shocker - but apologetic as he steps through the front door. "I'm home! You here?" He calls out and you shout a quick "Kitchen!" back. 

A few seconds later, he's digging through the bag of thai food for his order and takes a seat across from you. "How was work?" You ask. He grimaces.

"Not great. Glad to be home." He sighs, shoveling an overloaded forkful into his awaiting mouth and talking around it. "Last night was fun. Good work, honey." He meant the fundraiser and it surprised you to know he'd actually stuck around long enough to enjoy it. He was more of a 'show your face and bail out in an hour' kinda guy.

But who could blame him with the hours he worked? 

"Thank you, dad. I had a really good time."

His eyes dart up to you, holding your gaze with the kind of expression that told you he wanted to ask you something but it was going to be something you didn't like. So you narrow your eyes in response, daring him to speak it. "What?"

His lips curl up slightly. "So... The auction went well. Rafe Cameron, huh?"

You groan and roll your eyes at the insinuation, spearing your food to distract yourself. "Don't remind me."

"You don't like him? I thought you were friends."

"You are friends. With his dad. That's about the limit of our interaction these days." You were sure the prying was so he could fulfill some sick little daydream he had about his kid falling for his best friends kid. Not gonna happen. "He probably just wanted to be nice."

You knew better. He wanted to rail you into next year and that was it, but you couldn't exactly explain that to your dad. 

Your phone buzzes on the counter and you pick it up, chewing over a mouthful as you frown at the unknown number calling you. You reject it and go to set it back down but it's barely seconds later that a message flashes up.

Unknown:- Tomorrow work for you?

Reply:- Who is this?

"Well, what about Dean? He home yet?" Your dad asks and you were only paying half attention as you multitask talking to him, eating your food and texting the mystery number. "No, I'm taking him to the airport tomorro--" You choke a little on your food as another message flashes up. 

Unknown:- Guess ;)

Of course. You lock your phone and set it down without replying, rolling your eyes as you keep eating. Rafe could wait. You were busy. "Someone's popular." Your dad comments and you snort but your phone lights up again. You try to resist looking at the popup but it was glaring at you.

Unknown:- I'm taking the lack of response as a 'yes' for tomorrow. Pick you up at 6.

You flip the phone over to avoid temptation and flash your dad a small smile that he doesn't believe. He was eyeing you curiously with this annoyingly knowing smirk. When your food is finally finished, you clean up and head upstairs for the night. You do your skincare and slip into some pajamas before heading to bed. Your phone was ringing and you sigh as you pick it up, not having to look because there was only one person brazen enough to call you this late.

"What do you want, Rafe?"

A breathy exhale lands from the other line and you somehow can discern from it the the man is smiling. You sit down on the edge of your bed, listening intently. "To talk."

"How did you even get my number?" 

"I stole it. From Rose's phone." At least he was honest.