𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

"Will you relax? Our families have hung out, like, a million times." You're laughing as you slip the black satin stilettos over your feet. You just finished getting ready in Rafe's bathroom, and can hear him fretting in the adjoining bedroom over what cuff-links he should wear. 

Your relationship has been kept relatively quiet since the party last week. Not because you haven't wanted to share it with your dad, but because he's hardly had five minutes for you to be able to and you didn't want him finding out through anyone else. So, since Ward and he decided to have a meal out with both families tonight, both you and Rafe figured tonight would be the perfect night to tell everyone that it's official.

Sarah knows. Obviously.

The others have probably guessed, but nobody has said anything. Alex was ecstatic for you when you told her the morning after the party, even though she'd been horrifically hungover and in an otherwise sour mood because of it. 

Rafe was nervous about your dads reaction. You couldn't blame him in a way; after all, you were all your dad had left and he could get a little... overbearing when it came to your love life.

Nobody was ever good enough for his little princess. 

You hoped Rafe was the one to finally measure up to your dads astronomical expectations. 

"Yeah, I know.." Rafe sighs as he steps into the bathroom to talk to you, but he stops short upon seeing you, his eyes raking over your form. You're wearing a satin dress with a demure slit up the thigh that perfectly compliments your skin tone in its shade of deep forest green. "God damn."

"I did good?" You grin at his reaction, twirling once on the spot to give him the best view possible. He makes a show of leaning back slightly, propping his chin on his fist and devouring every inch of you with his eyes.

"Oh, fuck yeah. Do we really have to go to this thing?" He asks, stepping closer and setting his hands on the dip of your waist and pulling you to him. "Can't we just stay here and --"

"No." You sigh, however tempting the offer may be. "Lets get through tonight and we can have all of that later. I've just finished my makeup. You're not ruining it... Not yet, anyway." You tell him and he grumbles something under his breath but allows you to step out of his reach to head back into his room where your clutch is waiting on the bed. 

Except... Its not alone on Rafe's bed.

There, on the plush sheets beside it, it a long, black rectangular box. It has a small white bow and is practically begging for you to peek inside. 

So focused on the box, you don't notice at first that Rafe has come up behind you until his hands are returning to your hips, his front pressing against your back. His lips drop to your neck and he presses them briefly to that delicious spot where it connects to your shoulder before he speaks, his heated breath rolling over your sensitive flesh. "That's for you."

"What is it?"

"If only there was a way to find out." He teases. "Like - Oh, I don't know. Fuckin' opening it?" He snorts as you playfully drive your elbow back into his ribs and sidesteps you to reach out for the gift, turning to face you and holding it out with a mischievous grin creeping up his cheeks. 

Your eyes narrow at the box in skepticism before curiosity wins out and you take it from his large palms. He got me a gift. You smile to yourself, looking down at the box with just a fraction of the reverence you feel.

With a racing heart, you open the box and your entire body melts at the sight of what's inside. 

A gorgeous white gold and diamond bracelet, simple and exquisite. In the center is a rose in bloom and its stem and it glitters beautifully in the soft lighting of the room. "Rafe..." You gasp, eyes stinging with threatening tears. "It's beautiful."