C4

Chapter 4 : I Wish We Could Heal ... I'll Take You Home ... I'll Make You Whole

The first day of school marked the end of their halcyon days. It had been easy to take up almost all of Harry's attention when there was nothing much to do all day. It would be harder when there were classes and studying and other students they had to play nice with. Luckily, they were both going to the same school. Harry had taken the entrance exam a month ago, and he'd been accepted.

Tom had packed their school bags last night, making sure their summer assignments were carefully put away. He'd helped Harry with their summer homework as soon as the exam results were announced. Harry was pretty good at maths and reading but very behind on Latin. Tom didn't even think Harry's last school had taught Latin since he'd basically had to teach Harry everything they learned last year. They hadn't gotten any summer homework in their other classes. The composition instructor had told them to practice their handwriting, which Tom dutifully did in his journal every day, but there wasn't an assignment to turn in.

"Come on, Harry. Chin up," Tom ordered, helping Harry tie the black ascot of his sailor shirt into a prim bow. Their whole uniform was black with white accents. It looked nice and was practical because black was hard to get dirty. Both Harry's and Tom's uniforms were hand-me-downs that the school had generously provided. Mrs. Cole had tailored the outfits down with her meager sewing skills, leaving lines of stitches inside with them machine that could be opened as they grew.

"But, it's so early," Harry whined.

"You'll get used to it."

Harry fidgeted with his white wool stockings, pushing them down from where they brushed his knees. Tom immediately fixed them, pulling them back up to a modest height.

"I don't want to wear these. It's so hot," Harry complained. "I never had to wear stockings before."

Tom's opinion on Harry's family fell even further. They hadn't even clothed Harry properly. What had Harry worn before? Rags?

"You'll love them come winter," Tom said, less than sympathetic.

He dragged Harry down to the dining hall for breakfast. They passed Billy on the way, who paled rapidly and flinched before sprinting in the other direction.

Tom smirked.

"What do you think's gotten into him?" Harry wondered.

"Maybe he's just remembered he had summer homework to do," Tom said with a graceful shrug.

Breakfast was porridge again.

Harry was the only person Tom had ever met who actually seemed to like porridge.

"It's easy to eat," Harry had explained once.

"Doesn't it taste like cardboard?" Tom had asked.

"Everything here tastes like cardboard," Harry had said with a shrug.

About half the seats in the dining hall were filled, a scramble of different uniforms. A few of the older girls went to St. Cecilia's, and some of the older boys to St. James', though nobody in their age group, other than Harry and Tom, was going there. The majority of the kids went to other local schools.

"Finish your milk," Tom said strictly when he noticed Harry messing with the glass instead of drinking the beverage.

Harry gave him a look but obediently drained the cup.

Tom grabbed both of their lunch pails after breakfast.

"We're on our way, Mrs. Cole," he said, pulling Harry out the door.