C10

Chapter 10 : Cause All I Needеd ... I've Known Far Too Long ... It's You and Me ... And That's How It's Supposed To Bе

The Bakers were scheduled to arrive after lunch at one o'clock. Harry was so nervous he was barely able to eat. Tom had to practically feed him to get him to finish his meal.

Before the Bakers arrived, Tom snuck into Mrs. Cole's office, hiding under the desk. In case things went south and the Bakers wanted to take Harry home, after all, Tom would act without mercy.

The Bakers were greeted and seated in short on the loveseat that Mrs. Cole had placed along one wall. Tom peeked under the desk to get a glimpse of them. They looked perfectly ordinary. Mrs. Baker had short brown hair and a cheerful smile. Mr. Baker wore a pair of wire-thin spectacles.

Mrs. Cole sent Harry into the room by himself. She always tried to stay out of the proceedings as much as possible.

Harry walked in confidently, shaking the Bakers' hands. He had a notebook with him.

"Mr. and Mrs. Baker, I presume?" Harry asked, sounding so grown-up and serious that Tom immediately knew he was up to shenanigans.

Mr. and Mrs. Baker looked at each other with bemused expressions.

"Yes, that's us," Mrs. Baker said. "Are you Harry?" she asked.

"I'm not sure what you've been told about this interview, Madam, but I will be asking the questions," Harry said, flipping his notebook open. Was that Harry's attempt at being rude and off-putting? He had no clue how adorable he was if he thought that was going to work. Tom narrowed his eyes. "Now, what sort of child are you looking for?"

Mr. and Mrs. Baker sent confused looks at each other.

"My word, this is quite unusual," Mr. Baker exclaimed.

Mrs. Baker held a hand up in an obvious gesture meaning: 'let's indulge the boy.'

"We want you to be exactly who you are," Mrs. Baker.

"Not me, Madam. I meant the child you want to adopt. What are you looking for?"

A pause. The Bakers traded puzzled looks.

"I suppose we want a child that's diligent, hard-working, humble," Mr. Baker said.

"A child who can share our faith. A kind child," Mrs. Baker added on.

"Are you specifically looking for a son?"

"I suppose we anticipated a boy," Mrs. Baker said, "But I'd be open to a daughter."

Mr. Baker nodded in agreement.

"What age? Are you set on seven?"

"We wouldn't mind going a few years up and down. Our home is most equipped for a child around seven, though."

Harry nodded, making a note in his book.

"What hobbies would you want your child to take part in?"

And so on.

Harry asked almost thirty questions, closely interrogating the Bakers' needs and their lifestyle. The Bakers kindly indulged every single one of Harry's concerns, even though they must have already answered some of these questions for Mrs. Cole. They seemed like patient, good people, but they would hardly reveal their true nature so soon.

"Well?" Mrs. Baker said eagerly. Did she think Harry had asked all the questions to determine if he wanted to live with them? She would be disappointed.

"I have the perfect child for you," Harry said, smiling brilliantly. "I'll be back very soon."

Harry stepped out of the room, and Tom listened closely to hear what the Bakers would say behind Harry's back.