C33

Chapter 33: Took a blanket of stars and wrapped it all around you ... You were alone until I finally found you

"Were you always Death?" Harry asked. It was the end of Samhain, and he was back in the field of souls. The grass rippled like a silver, moonlit sea.

"That's a good question, little one," Death said.

Death flickered, face wrought from shadows. His ribcage went skeletal, moths flying from between the intercostal spaces. They gathered between his hands, condensing into a dark sphere. It crackled like the space between nerves—synapse snap like lightning. Death's hands turned to bone from holding it, but his face became incrementally more human.

"Is there a good answer?" Harry asked impatiently.

Death barked a laugh.

"No," he said. "Once I became Death, I was always Death. Just like you, once you became the Master."

"Huh? Master of what?" Harry asked, confused. Had he misheard?

"I'll tell you when you get older," Death teased.

Harry exhaled sharply, crossing his arms.

"I hate it when adults say that."

"Burdens should only be passed when they can be borne," Death replied.

"I can bear a whole lot," Harry said persuasively, leaning eagerly towards Death.

Death's face made a weird, melancholy expression.

"I know," Death murmured. "You've borne too much already, my child."

Harry flinched, turning away. He tugged at the argent grass, the dew milky like pearls.

"Not true," Harry dismissed. "Others have borne more. I've just borne what I had to."

"And a little more," Death pointed out. "So others could bear less."

Harry shrugged, embarrassed. Was he being scolded again? It felt like it.

"I've borne what I could."

Death sighed deeply.

"I just wanted you to be happy," he said.

The orb between Death's hands turned bright white—to moths with chalk-white wings scattering scattering scattering

_

It happened in mid-November: the day Harry had been waiting years for. Madame Roseheart was doing a follow-up appointment to see how the nutrient potion was working (Harry had taken a break from it over the summer and had resumed it again once second year started), and Tom had come along as usual.

She measured his height.

"150 cm," she said.

Harry gasped.

"Please say it again," Harry requested, breathless.

"150 cm," Madame Roseheart repeated, giving him a bewildered look.

Harry yanked Tom towards him, using his hand to measure their heights.

He shrieked with excitement.

Madame Roseheart gave him a chastising look but her eyes were filled with amusement.

"We're the same height, Tom!"

"No," Tom denied immediately.

"We are!" Harry insisted. "I can't believe it! This is the best day of my life!"

"It's not. You're being so dramatic," Tom complained. "Congratulations, Harry, you're averagely tall now."

"It was a long journey to get to this point but I'm so grateful to be here," Harry said, pretending to wipe away a tear. He held up his fist like it was a microphone. "First, I would like to thank Madame Roseheart for being an amazing doctor-healer and for her nutrient potions. Please give a round of applause."