C6

Chapter 6 : Walk Alone with You ... Quiet Afternoon ... Holding Onto Something

Tom wasn't going to sleep tonight. Harry had woken up twice already with a nightmare about the basement and had needed soothing to fall back asleep again. Tom carded his fingers through Harry's curls, and Harry's eyes slowly blinked shut for the third time that night. He cradled Harry close, the gentle tidal shift of his magic rocking back and forth between them like the shift of gravity between the moon and its sun. Harry's eyes slipped shut.

The door pounded close to five AM.

Harry shot awake, a strangled gasp in his throat.

Tom hushed him, ire stabbing in his veins. Of course, this had to happen right when Harry had finally fallen back asleep again.

He got out of bed and threw open the door. Billy Stubbs stood there, clutching his dead rabbit.

"What are you doing here?" Tom hissed. "Haven't you done enough?"

Billy pushed past him, and Tom almost murdered him right there, consequences be dammed.

Control control control.

"Harry. Please. Please save, Puff," Billy sobbed.

Billy shoved the dead rabbit into Harry's hands, yanking Harry's hands over the rabbit's matted fur like he was trying to activate Harry's magic himself.

A terrible blank look came over Harry's face as he stared at the rabbit. Tom wanted to cover Harry's eyes to protect him from the sight.

"I'll kill you," Tom snarled at Billy, enfolding and pulling Harry's trembling hands away from the dead creature.

"Tom," Harry said in serpent, changing his grip, so he was holding onto Tom's hands instead. "I'll handle it."

"Are you sure?"

"Trust me," Harry said.

Tom sat on the bed next to Harry, staring at Billy with utter contempt.

Harry took a deep breath.

"Billy, did you lock me in the cellar today?"

Billy froze.

"N-no."

"Be honest, worm," Tom spat.

"I won't help if you aren't," Harry added.

Billy looked down.

"Then, I—I did. I'm so sorr—"

"Save it," Harry snapped. He kissed his teeth. "You're not sorry. And I don't really care if you're sorry or not."

Billy trembled.

"Please," he begged. "Puff didn't do anything. He was just a rabbit."

"That's the reason," Harry said. "That's the only reason. But you will never lay a hand on another person again. You will never speak an unkind word. You will never bully anyone in any shape or form for as long as you live. And you will apologize to every single person you've hurt, and you will mean it or help me God. Swear it."

"I swear," Billy said, tears streaming down his face.

"Harry, the rabbit is dead," Tom pointed out, very reasonably.

Harry ignored him, falling to the floor next to Puff. The sheets pooled down beside him. He flexed his hand.

No.

No no no. He was going to absorb it.

"Harry, I forbid it!" Tom screamed, frantic. "Stop this instant!"