C9

Chapter 9 : Champagne People ... On a Sparkling Spring Party

Marlow's party was as boring as Tom expected. The girl Tom was forced to dance with, Winifred, kept stepping on his toes.

"I'm so sorry," she said for the fourth time. "I'm pants at this."

Tom bit his tongue to stop a harsh agreement from leaving his lips.

Harry was dancing with a girl named Amelia, who was so focused on their footwork that she barely looked up the whole time.

They sat the next dance out for refreshments. Punch and finger sandwiches.

Tom tried to convince Harry to have at least one sandwich, but Harry shook his head.

"My insides are all knotted up from earlier. I don't want to eat."

They sipped at the punch, leaning against a wall, listening to the music: a tumble of jazz and classical numbers. They saw Leyland split with his partner, a blonde girl in a pink taffeta dress, who immediately went to go talk to another girl. Marlow approached, raising his eyebrows at Harry.

"Why aren't you dancing?" he asked.

"We're just taking a break, Oliver," Harry said.

"How's the punch?" Marlow asked.

"Fine," Tom said.

Marlow waved at the blonde girl in taffeta, calling her over.

"Have I introduced you to my sister yet, Harry? Jane, may I present my friends, Harry Faye and Tom Riddle," he said.

"How do you do, Miss Marlow," Harry said, playfully pretending to tip his nonexistent hat.

"How do you do," she greeted, smiling. "Please call me Jane. My brother has told me a lot about the two of you."

"Only good things, I hope," Tom said, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course," Jane said.

"Thank you for inviting us," Harry said, smiling.

"The pleasure is all ours," Jane said, smiling back.

"Jane goes to St. Cecilia's," Marlow said.

They made small talk for a few moments until a girl with light brown hair waved her hand towards Jane beckoningly.

"Please excuse me; Alice is calling for me," Jane said. "It was a pleasure to meet you."

They all nodded in parting.

"Alice is Edward's sister," Marlow said awkwardly after his sister had departed.

The music changed. Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty Waltz. The original version, not the piano arrangement.

"Tom," Harry whispered, reaching for Tom's sleeve.

"Please excuse us as well," Tom said, wrapping an arm around Harry's shoulder.

"We'll be back very soon, Oliver," Harry added.

Marlow shrugged and went to go check on other guests.

It was more difficult than they'd anticipated; finding a private location where they could still hear the music. But it was worth it.

One sublime dance to crown the evening of mediocrity with.

Tom was content, even though they'd ended up dancing in the coat room. He and Harry returned to the party, dancing a few more sets with strangers before settling at a table in the corner to talk.