Hope

Aaliyah

Being in love or simply liking someone who doesn't want anything to do with you, is not for the weak. Believe me!

I'm going into my junior year of high school and still chasing after the same guy since 6th grade.

Yeah, 5 years is crazy.

Ever since I met Giovanni, I've never liked any other guy. Whenever I see him, I get butterflies in my stomach, my heartbeat begins to pick up, and my smile is impossible to cover up when he's around me. I feel all these types of emotions when I'm with him but does he too?

For six years, I have always wondered if we could ever be more than friends. I mean, we're already best friends so why not be closer and try it out? We could always try... right?

We became best friends in 5th grade since we had most of our classes together, rode the same bus, and live in the same gated community.

Every year was like a dream for me. We would get closer and closer. Hanging out at each other's houses, spending time together, and having a good relationship with each other's family. I guess those things don't mean anything to him.

Hope. Hope. Hope.

Hope is the reason I continue liking Gio . Hoping we can be something more someday.

Sometimes when Gio and I are together, he does some things that give me a hint that he may be slightly interested in me, and then other days I'm just like a friend to him. Which I am but... Ugh! He's so confusing. Like is he interested in me or not?

Or maybe I'm the problem. Maybe I'm not good enough for him. Maybe Im an unlikeable person? Am I not pretty enough? Am I not his type?

Thoughts like these have been occupying my mind recently. They honestly have a possibility of being true which is terrifying to me to admit. I know I can't magically stop having feelings for him overnight but I think it's time that I move on.

Moving on from someone I didn't even date...

It's going to take some time but practice makes perfect. Besides, I have all summer to work on this new mentality and mindset before school starts. I can do this!

First, I'd like to go somewhere to calm my mind.

The beach does exactly that. It's not too far from my house anyways.

I walk up to my closet and start pulling out and throwing bathing suits everywhere. This orange one looks so good on my skin tone. Yeah, this one will do. I gran my tote bag and start putting my headphones, book, and portable charger in there.

I quickly go downstairs and head to the kitchen to find something I could munch on. I end up grabbing a water bottle and a bag of sun chips.

I take the keys in my hand and lock the door, put my headphones on before I hop onto my bicycle and then I put my bag in the little basket in front of it.

As I'm getting closer to the beach, I see my grandparents sitting outside the shop. I park my bicycle in front of them and get off.

"Aaliyah, what brings you here?" my grandma says walking up to me and kissing my cheek. Mama's kisses are always the best.

"The weather is nice and I miss the beach," I say while hugging Mama tightly.

"When do you not miss the beach, Ali?" Papa says while patting my head.

True. I always miss the beach. Even after I finish getting out of it.

"Are you here alone?" Mama says looking behind me to see if I have any company with me.