Screw Up

Aaliyah

My grandparents went strawberry picking this morning while I was sleeping and they made strawberry cream cheese once they arrived home. I take my first bite of my bagel and mhm this is heaven!

I see my grandma putting a pie in the oven. "Ooo, who's coming over?", I ask while taking another bite of the bagel. Mama tends to make her special pie when someone's coming over to the house or if we're celebrating something.

     "A new family is moving in right across from us and they're inviting us to dinner, mija", she says while taking her hands out of the oven gloves.

     "Really?" I say raisng my eyebrow. Someone hasn't lived there since the old lady that would always get Giovanni and I in trouble because we were always running on the sidewalks. Like isn't that the whole purpose?  She moved from this house and then died in her new home 2 weeks after for unknown reasons. Gio and I both believe that we were the ones either keeping her alive or shortening her lifespan.  Rest in peace Mrs. Jill, you'll always be remembered.

     "Wait, how are they inviting us to dinner if we haven't introduced ourselves yet?," I say rethinking what my grandma just said.

     " You haven't introduced yourself yet, Amor, me and your papi already did this morning. That's the reason why he's out there helping them put in their furniture," she says. "After this pie is done, I'm going to freshen up so we can give them a warm welcome for living here later ", Mama adds while checking the oven.

I nod my head and get out of my seat and walk over to the window to see if there's anyone my age to hang out with. I mean, I need to make some friends somehow. I just see people taking out couches out of the truck. Yeah, there's my papi. He looks over the window and waves at me. I smile and wave back while closing the blinds and walking over to the kitchen again.

As I pour myself some fresh cold water, I hear a knock at the door. "I got it," I say while running to the door. I open up the door to see a delivery man with my package in his hands. "Thank you," I say while he passes me the package. I shut the door and run up to my room.

I've been wanting this sweatshirt for the longest. I can't wait to put myself in it. It already feels so soft. I quickly put it on and Oh My God... is this heaven?

I look in the box and see another sweatshirt there. Oh right, I got matching ones for Gio and I...

I close the box and slide it under my bed.
...

We knock on our new neighbors door and without hesitation, a woman with a straight black bob and glasses opens the door. "Hey, welcome to our home," She welcomes us with a smile and lets us in. I walk in and the scent of vanilla candles fill my nostrils.

     "Sweetie, you can sit here on the couch and watch something while I call the others to come down," the lady says to me while passing me the remote. I kindly accept it with a smile. The lady walks to the end of the staircase, "Jocalynn , Miguel, the Young's are here," she says as she walks towards the kitchen. "Mrs. Lopez, do you need any help in the kitchen?," Mama asks while following her into the kitchen to drop off the pie she brought. "That would be amazing," Mrs. li says in relief.

I place the remote on the mini table infront of me because I never know what to put on the big screen. Especially, at someone else's house.

I finally hear someone coming down the stairs and its a girl that looks extremely familiar. She has silky black hair, wearing black headphones, and has a lip piercing. Oh right, It's the girl from the corndog shop. Is she my new neighbor?

After her, comes down a boy that looks even more familiar. The cute waiter guy. Once he got to the end of the stairs, he walks closer to the living room.