Chapter One

July 30th, 1976

Athania Black sat at her vanity, fixing her makeup as her little brother sat on her bed, throwing questions faster than she could smooth the silk of her dress.

"What if I get Gryffindor like Sirius?" Regulus asks as she pins a fly-away piece of hair back into her half-up style.

"That would be perfectly fine, Reggie," she tells him as the two chuckle.

Interrupting the sibling's conversation, the heavy bedroom door suddenly flies open. They looked up to find their mother, Walburga Black, standing in the doorway in the black ballgown she had picked for the evening.

"Regulus, leave your sister and I," the older woman orders before her youngest son flees her daughter's room.

Athania quickly stood for her mother before she inspected the black and emerald gown that flowed to the floor.

"You look perfect, my dear," her mother's compliment coming off quite sharp.

"I have something we must discuss before heading to the manor," she tells her daughter as she stands before her, wand in hand.

"Yes, mum?" Athania asks, obedient as always.

"You are the oldest Black child. I expect you to represent your father and I well tonight," she does not ask, but demands. "And that includes keeping an eye on your brothers. The Malfoy's have something big planned for the night and the last thing I need is for one of Sirius' stunts to tarnish us," she explains her thoughts to her daughter.

"Of course," Athania agrees, keeping her head held high so Walburga couldn't find another reason to scold.

"Good. Now I have something for you. Turn around," her mother instructs, pinning a necklace around Athania's neck.

Making quick work of pulling her hair through the chain, Athania turned around to look in the mirror, finding her mother standing behind her.

"This is a Black family heirloom. I think it's time you wear it," she says as Athania examined the small artifact.

The necklace had a silver chain with a locket attached, a small B engraved onto the front of it. Athania popped open the locket to find a portrait of the creators of the Black family, Licorus and Magenta Black.

"Oh Mother, it's beautiful," she says.

"That it is. Now make haste, we need to leave soon," Walburga barked before Athania grabbed her wand and slid it into the slender pocket sewn into her gown.

Malfoy Manor

As the Black family entered the gorgeous manor, Walburga and Orion immediately split from their children to go speak with Abraxas and Sylvia Malfoy.

The three children descend down the grand staircase into the ballroom, Athania stopping Sirius before he split as well.

"Can you promise me you'll be good? It's my neck if anything goes wrong on my watch," she asks her younger brother as she slides on the silk eye mask she brought for the masquerade.

"Yeah, sure. Oh, there's James!" Sirius excitedly brushes her off before running to his friends.

"Do you want to go see Narcissa?" Athania asks Regulus, given that they could probably keep each other company.

"No thanks, can I just stay with you?" he asks as he clings to his older sister's dress.

"Of course, but we should join the party," she tells him with a chuckle before taking his hand and walking into the crowd.