Chapter Eleven

March 3rd, 1977

"I'm sorry this fell on today," Lucius says from his bathroom as Athania sits at his desk, styling her hair.

The two planned to come home for the weekend to celebrate Athania's birthday since they had been at school on the actual date; however, the yearly ministry head's meeting fell on said weekend.

Mr. Malfoy was the head of the Office of Dark Magic Containment and Orion Black was the head of the auror office; therefore, both children were summoned with their fathers to come to observe.

"It's no bother... we have all night," Athania smugly says as she kisses his cheek, passing by him in the bathroom to grab the outfit she had steamed.

Being two of the richest families in the wizarding world, they could both dress in some of the highest fashions there were to offer.
Athania definitely looked expensive, dressed in a silk, silver blouse tucked into a pair of tailored, black pants, completed with a pair of black heels and the deep emerald robes that Lucius bought her for Christmas.

"How do I look? Professional?" she asks with hope in her voice.

"That's one word," Lucius says, his eyes roaming all over the outfit.

"Lucius," she chuckles as she tries to scold him.

"Yes, very professional," he chuckles as well, tucking his collar the correct way.

"We need to leave soon, get a move on," they hear Abraxas' voice through the bedroom door before footsteps hastily disappear down the hall.

"Mum's had him on edge about this for a week," Lucius explains as they exit their room.

"I bet. It's a big deal," she responds as they descend the stairs.

"Don't let him hear you say that," Lucius tells her, Athania laughing in return.

********

"Now we know how the department of dark magic will be turned over with Mr. Malfoy's retirement. I think it prudent that we figure out how the auror office will be governed going forward," the Minister says as Athania looks to her right at her father.

"I know you proposed the idea of Ms. Black taking over, Orion," the Minister continues, Athania's eyes widening.

"Yes sir. I intend to lead for as long as my life allows; however, should anything happen to me and a new head is not brought in almost immediately, our government would practically fall to shambles," Orion explains as he stands to talk.
"Im proposing that my daughter be listed as next in line to the head of the office, that way she may take immediate duty," Orion announces as Lucius takes Athania's hand under the table, knowing this was a surprise.

"Mr. Black, respectfully, your daughter is eighteen. What if something is to happen to you in the next five months?" Bartimus Crouch says from the opposite end of the table.
"Fresh out of Hogwarts with an entire ministry office on your shoulders. It doesn't seem like the best move just yet," he was careful not to insult his daughter.

"While that is a good point, Ms. Black was hired to the office before even graduating, has been interning in the office for years, and finished her training in a month, the fastest any auror has," Macmillan Weatherby, head of muggle affairs, retorts.
"Id say that's qualified and some," he speaks his peace.

"All in favor?" the Minister asks, eight out of the nine hands raising.
"It's settled then. Congratulations Ms. Black," the Minister speaks directly to her.

"Thank you, sir," she speaks, her whole world rattled.

********

    When the Malfoy trio returned home that night, Athania quickly went to bed as Lucius grabbed a drink.