Deal or No Deal

It wasn't too long until the group had pulled up on the side of the road and were standing outside the car, waiting.

"If this all goes sideways," Five remarked to the pair, "do me a favour and tell Delores I'm sorry."

He caught sight of a car driving up in the distance. Blue. "Y/n, get back in the car." He decided.

Y/n blinked, "What?"

"We're going to need you for a quick exit. You're our secret plan if we don't get to the part where I have a conversation with their supervisor." He explained, turning to them.

"Alright. Fair enough." Y/n nodded, quickly hopping back in the backseat.

They watched from the window they were peeking through as Hazel and Cha-Cha got out. A short conversation ensued, though everything sounded muffled through the door. Eventually, Cha-Cha walked away, over to a payphone and dialled a number.

There was a moment of silence as Five and Luther stood by the car again. The agents stood in the middle of the road. Suddenly, Five and Luther turned behind them in confusion. Y/n peered out the back window. An ice-cream truck. They didn't remember this part.

It drove closer and Y/n peeked out from the side-window again to see it was being driven by Klaus and Diego. Cha-Cha shouted something and her and Hazel began to fire from their pistols. Y/n slipped out the door of the car to try and get everyone away to safety and

The sky looked a lot warmer. Everywhere looked a lot warmer. Everywhere was quiet. Y/n didn't make a sound. They just crouched there, back pressed against the other side of the car.

Five's footsteps were loud as he walked forward. Y/n realised what was happening.

"Neat trick, isn't it?" The Handler asked, a voice from further down the middle of the road. She turned towards the car, raising her voice slightly, "You can come out now." She paused for a moment before turning back to him, "Hello, Five."

Y/n cautiously stepped up, walking around the car. Five looked at them in shock. The Handler smiled. Y/n moved to stand next to Five.

"You look good," The Handler continued, "all things considered."

Five cast another frown at them before turning back to her, "It's good to see you again."

"Feels like we met just yesterday." She smiled, "Of course, you were a little bit older then. Congratulations on the age regression, by the way. Very clever. Threw us all off the scent."

Five shrugged, "Ah, well, I wish I could take credit. I just miscalculated the time dilation projections and... well, you know. Here I am."

"You realise your efforts are futile. So why don't you tell me what you really want?"

"I want you to put a stop to it."

The Handler almost laughed, "You realise what you're asking for is next to impossible, even for me?" She shook her head, "What's meant to be is meant to be. That's our whole raison d'être."

Five carefully pulled the pistol from his belt loop and pointed it at her casually, "Yeah? Well how about survival as a raison?"

"I'll just be replaced. I'm but a small cog in a machine." The Handler looked completely indifferent to the gun being pointed at her, "This fantasy you've been nurturing about summoning up your family to stop the apocalypse is just that. A fantasy." There was that serene smile again as she took a step forward, "I must say, though, we're all quite impressed with your initiative, your stick-to-itiveness, really quite... quite something." She smiled again, "Which is why we want to offer you a new position back at the Commission, in management."