Duplicate Nuance

Y/n and Nine had met back in their bedroom, where the two sat together. Y/n recounted their experience of the past few weeks as Nine scanned over REALITY, which they had confirmed they'd finish reading later. Nine had also done their best to recount all of the reality they remembered for future events and such, and Y/n had then responded with what was different, what they had changed.

"You know, it's really weird hanging out with myself. And talking to myself." Y/n said suddenly, after a small period of silence, "You're so... different but so similar."

Nine chuckled, "Kind of like talking to Ghost, isn't it?"

Y/n laughed, "I was gonna say that. But a version of them, I think. Ghost's very much their own person."

Nine let out a small laugh, "They always were the more outgoing one."

"So." Y/n hummed, "What're we doing about the living situation?"

Nine clicked their tongue for a few moments, "How about... you stay here, tonight. I'll go and get us a room at the Obsidian. We can, like, take it in turns to sleep at the hotel, maybe? Since this is both of our bedrooms?"

"Yeah, that. That sounds fair, I guess." Y/n hummed, "But you, like, just got back. Don't you want to sleep here first?"

"No, you can have it." Nine shook their head, "Plus, I'm not the one who... probably wants to avoid seeing the Umbrellas considering earlier today."

Y/n laughed a little, "Yeah, fair. And you can actually use your powers to defend yourself."

"Alright." Nine nodded, and got up to begin packing an overnight bag, "I'm just gonna pack some things up and then I'll rift there."

"Alright." Y/n nodded, "I'm just gonna go take a shower, then. See you either... when I get back or in the morning?"

"See you." Nine nodded, throwing them a grin as they left the room. They quickly packed up the remainder of the things they'd need before changing their clothes quickly.

They slung the backpack over their back before kneeling down in front of the bed and wrapping their fingers around the handle of the black briefcase. They pulled it out in one fluid motion before summoning a rift and stepping neatly through it.

Nine appeared in the foyer for Hotel Obsidian, looking like a different person, where they talked for a few moments with Chet before being handed a room key. They thanked him, and headed upstairs to the room, where they dumped the bag before leaving once more with the briefcase in hand and their own appearance back.

Five was alone at the bar, still. He was scribbling calculations into that same notepad.

"Hey." Nine said, standing behind him.

He turned around to face them, "Ah, so you ended up being the one to stay at the hotel after all."

"Yeah." They grinned, "Technically... not my bedroom. Also, Sparrows aren't exactly happy to see me, so thought I'd stay out of their way."

Five's eyes immediately latched onto the briefcase. They widened at the sight of it and he looked up at them. He spoke through gritted teeth, "Is that what I think it is?"

Nine paused, "I mean, depends what you think it is."

He cast a light glare at them, "Is that the briefcase we left behind at the academy? The one we were meant to receive today at the trade? The one we were attacked over? The one you said you didn't know the location of?"

"I'm sorry. I wanted to keep it safe in case of emergencies but..." they lowered their voice slightly, "I think we need to go and see the Commission about this apocalypse."