Issue 6 - What it Takes to Be a Hero

Earth 96283
Two years ago

Cindy felt like crap. She could hardly think straight, making her way home. Her head was tearing itself apart as Cindy quickly found herself walking into the road dazed. However, as soon as she walked out of line, something snapped in her to avoid oncoming traffic at high speed.

Stumbling back, Cindy kept looking around and hearing everyone's conversations; she could sense and feel everything. It was overwhelming. Clenching her eyes shut, she tried to bleed out the noise with music, but that did very little. Unsure what to do or how to cope, Cindy just ran; she ran as far as she could all the way home. She hadn't realised she was home until she opened her eyes. Having run home with her eyes closed, Cindy was left struck with confusion, fear and the growing pain of throwing up. Taking out the house keys from her school bag, she walked in, slamming the door hard behind her, getting everyone's attention.

"You could have just said you're home. You didn't need to let the whole neighbourhood know." Her brother, Albert, chuckled, sitting on the sofa reading a comic.

"There she is; come on, tell us, how did the field trip to that science lab go?"

Cindy looked at her mum, squinting. "Ugh, everything went great; listen, I don't feel so good; I'm going to head up and crash."

Cindy's father looked confused, poking his head. "What's wrong, little miss?"

"Did you take notes, at least?" Her mother quipped back.

Cindy ignored everyone, her dizziness taking fold. "Everything's fine. I'm just going to get some rest."

Both parents looked at each other, confused, shrugging it off. "What's that all about?"

"Maybe it's that time of the month?" Albert suggested.

His mother smacked him with a newspaper, frustrated. "Mind your manners, young man."

Now caved in her room, Cindy dropped her school bag, falling onto her bed; squeezing her Staryu plush tightly, she felt herself drifting in and out of consciousness. Curled up, her eyes were fixed on the Spider bite she received on the ankle, the bite swelling up. A throbbing feeling persisted before Cindy found herself blacking out altogether.

Unsure how long she was out for, Cindy quickly woke up hearing her door knock. A sense ran through her body as she crawled back under her covers as her parents entered. "Hey, Cindy... How are you feeling?"

Hiding under her covers, she began to groan.

"Why don't you come down for some food sport? Your mum is making tacos." Her father said in a careful tone. "You can't hide away in your room all night. We were going to talk about college, remember?"

"Can't we do it tomorrow? I don't feel well." Cindy mumbled.

"There isn't that much time to discuss things, Cindy." Her mother warned. "Come on, please."

Cindy didn't respond, rolling over, her body tingling.

"That wasn't a suggestion, young lady. We've been letting you slack off for too long regarding school. Your father and I gave you the benefit of the doubt over the hockey team. But you need to start being serious now."

"Nari, do you believe this is the best time to be belittling our daughter?"

"Don't start sticking up for her again; you let her get away with too much. First, it was the hockey team, then Hector."

"Here we go again," Cindy whispered. "You can't just let me be happy, can you mother."

"Don't make me out to be the bad guy here, Cindy; I only want what's best for you."