Issue 12 - Induction Day

Alright, let's start with a quick recap. My name is Y/N Maximoff Parker; I was bitten by a radioactive spider, and for the past three years, I've been one of many, many, many. My God, is there a lot of us, Spider-Man? I've rebranded quite a few times; I started being known as the Spider-Vigilante when no one knew who I was. I dabbled in the Human-Spider but went with Pro Hero Spider-Man. After a while, I changed it to the Scarlet Spider, named after my mother; you may have heard of her. Former Avenger current mass murderer psychopath the Scarlet Witch. Trust me; it's a long story, a very long story.

Scarlet Spider is taken; thank you, Ben Reilly, you could have thought of anything else, seriously anything... I would stick with the name, but then old Kaine had to take it, too. No one can be original in this Spider-Verse, can they?! So I had to go back to the drawing table; I went by the Red Death for one night; yeah, I very quickly pulled out of that edgy phase... Nowadays, I go by the one and only Crimson Spider; if someone tells you being Spider-Man is easy, they're lying. Take it from me; I've had a few ups and downs, and it feels like more downs. For you see, I was hidden across the Multi-Verse from said mother, who was hellbent on taking me away. She killed quite a few people because of that...

That adventure landed me in quite the universe, where 80% of the population had some superpower. I joined a prestigious hero academy; you haven't heard of it, trust me. I fell in love, lost the person I loved, and managed to get them back, only to lose them again. I had to leave that universe behind to keep it safe. My being there was destroying it slowly; I could never go back. I miss it quite a bit. Regardless, I returned to my reality with the powers of my mother, Scarlet Witch, just in case you forgot, and well, I don't seek out a social life anymore. The world doesn't have much use for forgettable, pointless Y/N, so I spend most of my days acting out as Spider-Man. My Aunt is dead, my closest family don't know I exist, and I'm late on rent for the fifth time. Everything is just groovy.

It's not all bad, though! I have a lifetime pizza supply over at Eddie's Pizza, the perks of looking out for the little guys. They closed down two months ago for health violence. Now? Well, that's complicated, just a little. You see, remember that other universe I mentioned? They called it Earth -2016; my messing with it caught the eyes of old Miguel O'Hara; he took me prisoner, working my punishment off; one day, I may go home. One day. It's all just a day in the life of your friendly neighbourhood Crimson Spider. Did I mention my mother is the Scarlet Witch? Yeah, Miguel sure likes to remind me...

****

Coming through the portal, Miguel pushed me forward into the open. The building in question still looked under construction; a handful of Spider-Men were working on getting it ready. "Lyla, when is the elevator ready?"

"Sorry, Miguel, it's not on the priority sheet. We decided to focus on the cafeteria and lab first."

"Does the cafeteria have to come first?" He grumbled, taking his mask off.

"Spider-Man still needs to eat."

Shaking his head in annoyance, he began walking backwards as hologram popups appeared around him. Swiping through them, he kept muttering to himself, lost in thought.

Strolling sideways, the other me spun around, scoffing. "You'll get used to Batman over there, always brooding and thinking the universe rests on his shoulders. Newsflash, Miguel, it doesn't!"

Rubbing my face, I looked at Y/N, baffled. "Sorry, all this is over my head; where am I?"

"Not getting told a lot around here? Don't worry; you'll get used to that too if he doesn't give you a proper introduction; welcome to the Spider Society, working title. The guys in PR are still working on the name."

More Spiders came into view, a handful talking to each other, but one took interest, swinging towards us. His Spider costume was something new... A Union Jack dawns the centre stage. "Well, lookie here, we have another bobby to join the crew. My name is Billy Braddock; you can call me Spider-UK. Can I say crikey, this is the fourth Y/N Parker we've had now? You lot are taking over. What happened to the third guy, the bloke from Earth 12131?"