Issue 18 - Canon Breaker

I couldn't stop shaking my leg sitting in the Moon's front room. I was waiting, feeling all that buildup rising. I saved them, right? I did that; they're safe—just as Cindy requested and promised. I should feel good; I should feel amazing. So why? Why do I feel so nervous?

Albert came in with a cup of tea, his look just as nervous as he handed it to me. I took a sip, unsure what to say. "So, you know our daughter, do you go to the same school?

"No, no, not the same school. I knew her, I do! I do know her. She was a Spider-Man like me, Spider-Woman! She helped me get on my feet when I was low."

Albert and Nari looked at each other, confused, before Nari laughed slightly. "I think I would know if my daughter was Spider-Man."

"Right... Margo said there was an active Spider-Man right now. No, wait, Cindy told me her story. She accidentally used her powers on you two and her brother; she was forced on the run, horrified." I explained, still getting nothing but confusion. I rubbed my face with a sigh. "Man, I wish Cindy was here... She never told me what to do next."

I heard the door open as Nari smiled. "Well, Spider-Man, you can ask her yourself."

My head turned as everything slowed down for me. I stood up as the impossible happened.

Cindy Moon walked through the door. "I'm home, guys; the bus was a little early today. Apparently, there was a huge attack at the Oscorp parade. Are you two alright?"

This can't be right. I continued to stare, my heart racing; this wasn't a trick, a sleight of hand. This was Cindy Moon. Every last detail I recognised. It was her...

"What is going on?" Carnage echoed just as spooked. "Did we get the wrong dimension?"

The wrong dimension? No, no, we couldn't have... I know we didn't. Margo double-checked; we used Cindy's old jumper. I had all the details; I even saved her parents. Nothing was adding up.

Cindy walked in, a little confused, looking at me. "Who's this?"

"We were hoping you knew this man; this Spider-Man saved our lives at the parade. He claims to know you."

Cindy looked startled, looking at her parents. "What do you mean saved you? You were both in danger?! Oh my God, are you alright!?"

"We're fine, we're fine." Albert chuckled, patting my back. "Spider-Man here saved us. Lord knows what would have happened otherwise."

Cindy hugged me, shaken up. "Thank you so much, Spider-Man... I knew the daily bugle was wrong about you."

Caught off guard, I just stood there licking my lips, unsure what to think. "Y-You're welcome."

Quickly hugging her parents, she wiped away her tears. "I saw what happened on the TV; I was so worried. I thought... I'm so glad you both are alright."

Albert smiled, hugging his daughter and looking at me. "This young man says he knows you. Y/N, was it?"

"Y-Yes, sir..."

Cindy stared at me; she kept looking, raising an eyebrow, confused. "I'm sorry, I don't know who this person is."

I pulled down my mask, dazed. I kept my distance. What if this was a trap, a trick? I couldn't just believe this. "Cindy... It's me, you, no, you've got to know... You were running from the Spider-Socetiy; you came to my dimension looking for my help to get you home. You... I don't get it."

"I don't like this, Y/N, not one bit; we need to go now!"

"Zip it Red... I need to know what the hell is going on." I snap, gripping my fist. "Maybe you survived? And got home somehow... Faked your death... No, I watched you die in my arms, Cindy Moon; I buried your body, and I made you a promise to save your parents. Who are you? What do you want with this family?!"