ONCE

I was having a moment of calmness and satisfaction while taking a sip from my chamomile tea, the drizzles of rain racing with might on my window. The blur of streetlights accompanies my sight. I was hesitant about whether I should just sleep or enjoy this sight and comfort. Rain is my favorite escape. It gives a feeling of fulfillment as well as refreshment. The coolness of the wind's breath on my skin embraces my worries. What a feeling of joy.

I was inside a fantasy of my own when I heard a knock on my door. Who else would knock on my door in the middle of the night other than my father?

"It's open Dad, come in."

He opened the door and went in only to sit on the edge of my bed and heave a heavy sigh. He was wearing his usual all-white nightwear. I'm guessing that he had one of those dreams again.

"How's school, son? Are you having a hard time being the president?" were the only questions he came to ask.

"Really Dad? In the middle of the night?" he just chuckled at what I said and stood up. "failed an experiment?" I continued.

"Just had a bad dream."  Just what I thought.

"What about?"  And just like always, hindi niya pa rin sinabi kung tungkol saan ang mga panaginip niya.

He shook his head off, "Nothing, you should go to sleep now too. I'm going," he said as he head towards the door and closed it after he was out. Hindi ko naman siya pinipilit na sabihin sa akin kung tungkol saan ang mga iyon at wala rin akong balak na pilitin siya. Having him come to me whenever he does is already enough. I am his peace. I give him comfort.

Isn't that what we all want in life? Kapag pinangarap ng isa na yumaman at natupad niya iyon, ano ang kasunod? Bakit niya pinangarap iyon? Hindi ba't dahil gusto niyang maging marangya ang kaniyang buhay sa pag-asang magiging mapayapa ang kaniyang buhay at mabibigyan siya ng kalinga.

Kasi sa totoo lang, iyon din ang gusto ko.

So I did my best to slowly achieve it.

Ang layo na rin pala ng narating ko. From being the Archer organization's ace, from being the rank 1 to being the academy's SSG president. I sighed.

I can't let this killer turn my efforts into waste. I endured so much to excel in the class and to be known in the whole university, and now that I am given the privilege to protect it as a president. I can't let the school fall under my term.

I want the academy to attain the same goal I want. To have peace and comfort.

I finished my tea and went downstairs still feeling light with the night's gift.

_____________________

"Hey, Chandiel!"

I was halted in my steps when someone from my back called me. His voice is unfamiliar and I know it is neither Aiden nor the President. Marami rin naman ang mga kakilala ko at mga nakabangga kaya hindi imposibleng isa siya sa nahuling nabanggit ko. His voice shouts dominance and power, something that sent me shivers.

I walked fastly wanting to reach the convenience store which is still a few blocks away from the corner I am at.

Malalim na ang gabi at hindi pa rin tumitila ang malakas na ulan. Hawak-hawak ang pulang payong ay maigi ko itong tinupi sa gilid at itinabi bago pumasok sa loob ng convenience store.

I can't sleep kaya naghanap na lamang ako ng makakain kasi walang laman ang ref ko kung hindi puro dugo.

Pumunta ako sa drinks section at busy sa pamimili nang biglang may naramdaman akong tumabi sa akin. Hindi ako nataranta o nangamba. Alam kong ligtas ako rito. Malapit lang ako sa counter at may iilang tao ang nagpapalipas ng ulan sa loob.