DIECISÉIS

Parte ng pagiging tao ang kakayahang mapagod. And that was what I felt earlier.

Upon hearing na may nagpakamatay, I quickly went to search for Diel. I couldn't contain the nervousness I felt while looking for her. She's always kind to stick her nose to others' business and it scares me to think na baka nadamay siya sa nangyari.

Nang matagpuan ko siya sa rooftop ay saka lamang ako nakahinga ng maluwag.

As if not contented, I went to see her late at night. It was all I need to finally have a rest after that stressful day.

I sighed. I did rest well.

I scanned through the pages of the newspaper. It is not a wonder why no news of the school's tragedy was ever written in the headlines. Well, I'll give it to them. They've paid an ample amount and effort for this.

I turned to the next page and sure enough, a bold headline about the Cartosou's second family's visit is jotted down.

After reading it for some time, I threw the paper into the bin just beside my study table. I lost track of time, I am supposed to go to school today to meet them up. Today's the date. Yesterday offers no school as predicted.

I am running late so I just put a vest on, something presentable enough to greet the elites. The television is still running on but I chose to find my missing car key first.

I forgot where I put it on the last day. I haven't used my car since delivering food to Diel. It must've been in the coat I used that day.

Tsk. I'm getting forgetful these days.

As I was about to search my laundry, I was halted by the news.

'Breaking news! Cartosou's second family was hit by a ten-wheeler truck on their way to the academy. All involved are dead after the explosion.'

They got into an accident. Napabaling ako sa tv at hindi malaman ang susunod na hakbang. I am still shocked and can't process what had just happened.

If they are an ordinary family, anyone would think that it was really just an accident.

I doubt it.

They are on top, they move in a different world. Things like these? Rarely an accident.

I signed and sat on the edge of my bed. Should I still go to school? There was no one to meet anymore. But of course, I should make my presence known there. What good am I being the president of the student council if I can't represent their genuine condolences?

I paced up and started the engine of my car. Upon reaching the academy, I was greeted by the anxious gatekeeper when I parked the car.  Lumapit ito sa akin at nagbigay ng payo na umuwi na ako.

"Sir, bakit pa kayo tumuloy dito? Umuwi na kayo sir, medyo delikado ang panahon ngayon"

"Thanks for the concern Mang Aldo but I need to get some copies from my drawer." he is hesitant. "Saglit lang po ako."

"Sige, sir. Bilisan niyo na lamang po."  Tumango lang ako at nagpatuloy sa paglalakad. I surveyed the school, wala na ang mga stuff. They must've gone home too. Hindi ko rin alam kung bakit ako nagsinungaling at sinabing may kukunin ako sa office kahit wala naman na talagang dahilan para manatili ako dito. Wait...this is actually good timing. No one is at the scene where Kove's body fell. The police are busy with the news about the Cartosou.

When the crimes at this academy started, nothing was really natural for me. Everything was connected. That's why I don't believe that he committed suicide.