Prologue

Deathgrippers, a feared dragon species for their satiation to eat other dragons. It just seems to be that I'm a Deathgripper, my name is Y/N. I had hatched about 21 years ago, and I was already fighting for my life, with all of my siblings.

We were all so hungry and there wasn't much to feed us all. Only about a few of the maybe hundreds of us had survived, survival of the fittest huh?

When I had left the nest, I had started doing what any other Deathgripper does when they are hungry; Hunt. For about 14 years of my now 21 years of life, I had hunted dragons of all sizes and shapes. I hunted to feed, but I can't say the same for other Deathgrippers. Some hunt for the sport, and some hunt for the enjoyment of their prey's fear.

One day, about 7 years ago, I was hunting a dragon I didn't know all too well but I knew the scent of. It was a Hobblegrunt, kind, gentle dragons, the opposite of my kind.

When I saw it, when I saw him, it felt like all of my guilt of killing my prey; other dragons, had all come crashing down onto me. I couldn't bring myself to kill the male Hobblegrunt that had stood not even ten feet away from me.

The Hobblegrunt introduced himself as Gruff, he seemed a bit scared of me but he seemed to sympathize that I didn't want to kill other dragons. He stayed by my side as the night had started rolling in, I didn't know how much I missed the warmth of another dragon untill I woke up snuggled next to him.

Gruff and I made a silent promise to each other that we wouldn't leave each others side, no matter what happened.

So, for the next 7 years we have been together, protecting each other from danger. Well it's mostly me protecting him but don't let him know that, he'd get made at me. He had taught me how to not eat other dragons, no matter the circumstance. I taught him how to EFFECTIVELY protect himself from other dragons.

When I had separated from my siblings and my mother, I had set off. The trauma of having to fight for my life the moment I hatched was too much and I didn't look for a pack. I opted to be alone and hunt for smaller or my size dragons.

Gruff says that I'm too shy to look for any friends or a mate but he doesn't know that I'm scared they're going to think of me as a monster, a dragon killer.

For the first time, that day I had met Gruff, I didn't feel alone or felt like I had something missing. I felt like I had everything by my side, a friend by my side. I feel like he felt the same, but he always looks off into he distance like he's missing something.

When I asked him about it he just says that he's fine, I don't believe him at all when he says that. I once offered that he could leave me and go and do whatever he wants, and he looked at me like I had three heads and fourteen claws on each foot.

He then said that he would never leave me, even if his life depended on it, because we were a pack and a pack is always there for each other. I didn't show it, but I felt my heart melt in my scales.

Gruff and I have been traveling around the archipelago's, seeing all different types of dragons, almost dying a couple of times. Gruff got caught by a dragon hunter ship and I kinda had to kill a few humans, not like anyone would miss them anyways.

Even while I was getting him out of the cage that trapped him inside, he looked at me with the most stank face ever. He also lectured me about killing humans when we got back to our temporary home.

I didn't feel bad about it though, those humans deserved it.

Though, it's enough talk about Gruff and I's sob story, it's time to talk about the present.

____________________________________

723 words. This is my first book so I apologize if it's short or trashy.